The Battle of Shiloh - The Union Armies - 6 April 1862

Has anyone read Larry Smith's two volume set on the Union Army at Shiloh? If yes, what did you think of it? Was it worth the price?

The Battle of Shiloh - The Union Armies - 6 April 1862 - Vol I and The Battle of Shiloh - The Union Armies - 7 April 1862 - Vol II by Lanny K. Smith (Author, 2018-19).

Has anyone read Larry Smith's two volume set on the Union Army at Shiloh? If yes, what did you think of it? Was it worth the price?

The Battle of Shiloh - The Union Armies - 6 April 1862 - Vol I and The Battle of Shiloh - The Union Armies - 7 April 1862 - Vol II by Lanny K. Smith (Author, 2018-19).
I have them. (I also have his Union volume on Stones River). I would say that if you have a very serious interest in the battle they are worth the price. They do not really contain "narrative" in the sense that Smith, Daniel, Sword, Cunningham do. It's more like a map study-style. I've found a few things I disagree with but those instances involve conflicts in the original sources where he has chosen one rather than the other. If he still has them available and you get them, don't drop them off a high-rise. The crater will be 10 feet deep. :hungry:

I would love to have them but they are a little pricey for me. Perhaps Santa could help but I wonder if any would be left by then?
Regards
David

I would love to have them but they are a little pricey for me. Perhaps Santa could help but I wonder if any would be left by then?
Regards
David
Definitely steep (and i don;t even know if they are still available - he does these in understandably limited numbers)

I wish I could use the credit card but the Keeper of the Purse believes that I have too many books already. Hard to get by her and very dangerous if caught
Regards
David

Last edited:
@Sbc it depends upon your knowledge of the battle and the participants. These books sound like they go in great details which might be a little too turgid for someone who has a read little about the battle.
Wiley Sword's Bloody April is a good start for those who are studying about the basics about Shiloh. I sure hope this does not sound smug on my part because that is certainly not my goal.
Regards
David

Reactions: Sbc
@Sbc it depends upon your knowledge of the battle and the participants. These books sound like they go in great details which might be a little too turgid for someone who has a read little about the battle.
Wiley Sword's Bloody April is a good start for those who are studying about the basics about Shiloh. I sure hope this does not sound smug on my part because that is certainly not my goal.
Regards
David
No at all sir! Read Sword years ago but looking for a refresher and may want to present a short talk on the battle if it is ok with the Quartermaster and I have an interesting topic.

Sounds wonderful! See ya in Corinth soon.
Regards
David

Are you attending the Shiloh muster this spring? Do you think this is the best book to study for such an outing?

I don't know anything about the Shiloh Muster this Spring.

This is not the best book to study for the outing since it only covers the Union Army. There's probably three/four I would recommend. Keep in mind no one book can adequately cover a battle.

@Missionary Ridge we are holding the Shiloh Muster this spring and would be delighted to have you join us!
Regards
David

@Missionary Ridge we are holding the Shiloh Muster this spring and would be delighted to have you join us!
Regards
David

Thanks for the invite. Let me check my schedule and I will get back to you.

To bad you didn't think to arrange for a paddle wheeler ride arriving at Pittsburgh Landing just like we did for the 150th Anniversary.

I wish I could use the credit card but the Keeper of the Purse believes that I have too many books already. Hard to get by her and very dangerous if caught
Regards
David
I can assure you that these two door-stops would be pretty hard to hide anywhere in the house. Much better to say that UPS delivered them to the wrong address and absolutely refused to take them back. :smile:

No at all sir! Read Sword years ago but looking for a refresher and may want to present a short talk on the battle if it is ok with the Quartermaster and I have an interesting topic.
One other very good and succinct book I've taken to recommending as a supplement is the ECW 2019 book "Attack at Daylight and Whip Them" by Greg Mertz. It's much shorter than the usual suspects (Smith, Daniel, Sword) but it's a nice combination short up-to-date history and tour guide. And like all the ECW books the price is right.

I don't know anything about the Shiloh Muster this Spring.

This is not the best book to study for the outing since it only covers the Union Army. There's probably three/four I would recommend. Keep in mind no one book can adequately cover a battle.
Just as an FYI my understanding is that Lanny is working on the Confederate volumes - no ETA I'm aware of.

Back