The Battle of Sailor's Creek, Virginia

gary

Captain
I visited Sayler's Creek/Sailor's Creek when it was marked by two signs. Now that it is a state park, it enjoys much better interpetation. The ranger in charge was originally from Petersburg.

1st Va Co A

Private
In decades past... Sailors Creek was once an annual event every April.... many folks will proclaim one of these events was their memorable first event ever.... I think the last annual one was around 2002 or so... then they ceased for a variety of reasons....

It was brought back for the 150th anniversary for a one time event... I was the Event Coordinator and CS Commander for it... Unfortunately due to the recent heavy rains, and freezing temps, we had to scale back the scripted and scheduled event by over half of what was initially planned for... It was to be a steady running active fight over several miles over original ground... the troops would have had to cross the creek several times along the route... fighting cross country over a number of different farms.... What had previously and normally been a simple hardly ankle deep little stream... had turned quickly into a near waist deep rapids of sorts that Friday evening... temps hovering around the freezing mark... I pulled the plug on the "extra" encounters for the troops safety... and we ended up only doing the last third of the overall scenario that didn't involve taking the plunge... When we stepped off early Saturday morning it had snow flurries... Even with less than half of the plan going into effect it still ended up quite a memorable event. This will probably not take place again in the foreseeable future... This was a one time thing. The Park does conduct a small annual Living History program each year of the anniversary, but not a battle or tactical event.

Thanks for the info, Frederick! Sounds like it will be a long wait for the next one, though.Dang the luck!

Guess I'll just have to use my imagination when I make my visit, which wont be until this Va summer heat has abated somewhat.....

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
* Bump for Anniversary of the Bsttle of Sailor's Creek, Virginia.
Great thread ! Especially love the pics of the reenactment. The Cavalry looks like they mean business.

I have a connection to the battle as my GGG Grandfather (Wytheville, VA) was captured at the battle. He had enlisted in the 1st Virginia Reserves at 59 years old in late '64. He was taken to Point Lookout, MD, & eventually parolled on 23 June 1865.

Cavalier

First Sergeant
@Buckeye Bill Used to drive right past Farmville on way to visit sick in law in N.C. but never got to stop except for quick lunch. I might have to head back down that way when I get a chance. Great photos! Thanks again for another bump.

John

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* Bump for Anniversary

20210406_054428.jpg