The Battle of Roanoke Island.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
General Burnside came up with the concept of what we know as the Burnside Expedition. One of the most important parts of the Burnside Expedition was the Battle of Roanoke Island. Although small by Eastern Theater battles the Battle of Roanoke Island had important consequences. Once Roanoke Island was captured the Union moved in to the Albemarle Sound.

The Confederate defenders of Roanoke Island were out numbered but did the Confedercy stand any chance of holding Roanoke Island? I have read a couple of articles about the battle and it seems like the Confedercy did not put put all that much effort in to preparing the island's defenses. Perhaps the Confederate government just did not see the importance in holding Roanoke Island.

A couple of years ago my wife wanted to see Roanoke Island so we drove out to it. The drive took longer than we thought and in the end after we seen "the Lost Colony" I did not have enough time to get to see many Civil War things on the Island. So did I miss out on seeing anything real good?

It has been like 20 years since I was last there, but I don't recall anything at the time that indicated the battle there. Everything was about the Lost Colony and the Elizabethan Gardens.

Is there a book that covers Burnside's campaign in this area?

It has been like 20 years since I was last there, but I don't recall anything at the time that indicated the battle there. Everything was about the Lost Colony and the Elizabethan Gardens.

Is there a book that covers Burnside's campaign in this area?

I have mostly read about the Burnside Expedition and the Battle of Roanoke Island in Civil War magazines . However, I have read a couple of books about the Civil War in North Carolina where the Battle of Roanoke Island is covered in the book.

My wife loved the "Lost Colony". I wanted to see Kitty Hawk and any Civil War sites. Like I said after a long drive and a nice lunch we really only had to time to see the "Lost Colony". She made it up to me by us stopping at several other Civil War sites over the next two days.

There’s not much left on Roanoke to see from the Civil War but it is worth the trip if you have the time. Many of the CS coastal fortifications are, or are now believed to be, under water and much battle that took place on the island (astride modern US64) is commemorated by some signage. You can visit the area where the US troops landed though it’s on private land and the aquarium there had an exhibit on the Monitor for years - I believe it’s still there. As a kid vacationing there annually, I made the acquaintance of a local gentleman who would take me relic hunting in the US camps on the northern end of the island. It was a blast to dig bullets and sift the trash pits for buttons, glassware, etc. That was 40 years ago and that particular camp area is mostly developed now. Anyway, there have been some good reading recommendations posted here about the campaign. Roanoke and the eastern Carolina maneuvers is a really interesting phase of the war to study.

Taking Roanoke Island was no walk in the park, however inadequate the defenders' numbers. I recently acquired the pension application of Sgt Felix McDermott, 21st Mass. Vols. He describes his first experience of combat:

"After serving in Three Months Service in Fort McHenry, from 19th of April /61 to Aug. 3d /61, I then Enlisted Aug.19th /61 Co. F, 21st Mass. Vols. left Annapolis, Md. Jan 6/62 with the Burnside expedition. After four weeks at Hatteras Inlet, Suffering from sea sickness and all the privations of an inclement stormy passage we landed on Roanoke Island on the Evening of the 7th of Feb./62. The 21st was put out on picket that Evening. It rained all night Cold, hard n heavy.​

"Next morning the 8th After the 1st Brigade filed past (Gen. Foster's), the 2nd Brigade (Gen Reno's) followed. The 21st being on the Right of the 2nd Brigade. Without sleep or rest were taken in to (supposed to be) impassible Swamp, there we stood, up to our Navels in that swamp water until I got Chilled through. We got on the right flank of the Rebel battery and Charged it, planting our Colors first on it. We then followed up the retreating enemy until all were Cooped. It was then dusk. We were marched to the Rebel Barracks where we were compelled to lie in our wet, cold clothing. But the Honor and Glory of winning our first fight kept us Animated for a time.​

"In a few days came the reaction. I was taken sick with Severe Cold, Rheumatism and sore Eyes for the first time..."​

Those symptoms would trouble him for the rest of his life.

There is a book about the battle:

Oxford, Lee Thomas (2013) The Civil War on Hatteras - The Chicamacomico Affair and the Capture of the U.S. Gunboat Fanny ( The History Press, Charleston, SC)

One of the Union men taken prisoner is buried in the cemetery where I volunteer and I researched him and his family extensively. Turns out the author mistook his cousin - who had the same name - for the actual man taken prisoner. The cousin died in Andersonville and I got the Park Service to correct his record which was in error (his death date is incorrect on his stone). Several local historians also mistook the two men as both lived here (but at different times), were related and lived with the same family members, and were both CW veterans. The one who is at Andersonville (taken prisoner at Chickamauga) participated in the local Indian wars but the one actually taken prisoner on Hatteras didn't come out until after the war (and married his first cousin who had the same surname). I have been in touch with the author who assured me that should he ever get a second publication (not likely methinks) he'd correct the record and give me credit.

The battle was mainly just each side chasing each other up and down the island. There were some prisoners but the only deaths were accidental and not directly the result of enemy fire. It was, though, strategically of some importance.

The battle was mainly just each side chasing each other up and down the island. There were some prisoners but the only deaths were accidental and not directly the result of enemy fire. It was, though, strategically of some importance.
Yes, it was a small engagement.Official Union losses were given as thirty-seven killed, 214 wounded, and thirteen missing. Confederate losses were only twenty-two killed and fifty-eight wounded.

After the battle:

The Battle of Roanoke Island
At 0730 the 25th Massachusetts led the way out of the makeshift camp followed by the 23rd and 27th Massachusetts and the 10th Connecticut of the 1st Brigade.They marched north up the central road until they reached a water filled ravine in their path. As they were crossing the natural obstacle they were engaged by the fire of the Confederate pickets. The road beyond was covered by a three gun battery reinforced by a mixture of troops from the 8th and 31st North Carolina. The remainder of his force was witheld at the northern tip of the island. As the fight developed around the guns the 2nd Brigade troops of Jesse Reno struggled into position through the swampy ground. Also present were the brighly attired Zouaves of the 9th New York. The increase of firepower quickly gained fire superiority over the badly outnumbered defenders allowing the 21st Massachusetts to manuever on the Confederate works. "Led by BG Reno himself the 21st waded into the deep swamp on the left of the road." Emerging from the swamp the 21st found itself in perfect position to assault the small, but lively, Confederate works. As the regiment organized a line of battle Reno went to the front and ordered the charge. Seeing the inevitable turning of the tide against them the Confederate commanders decided not to put up a useless fight. The defenders fired a last volley and fled. CPL Ethan Blodgett of Company A mounted the parapet and planted the Massachusetts state flag claiming the three abandoned brass pieces for his regiment.

Eager to join the attack, Hawkins Zouaves moved into position to strike the enemy position. As they made their final preparations the 10th Connecticut, dressed in gray coats, arose and fired a volley in their front. Stunned by the troops that had suddenly appeared in front of them and somewhat confused by the actions unfolding around them a portion of the regiment fled the scene. The remainder only managed to join the attack as the Confederate defenders retreated. As the other Union troops flooded into the position, Company E of the 21st fired the last shots of the battle at the fleeing enemy. Some of the Confederates attempted to avoid capture by rowing for the mainland in small boats. A few rounds splashing around their craft convinced them of the folly of their effort. They were soon waving white handkerchiefs ina "comical" display to save themselves.

After securing their gains the First brigade troops took up the pursuit of the retreating enemy. As the approached the northern end of the island LTC Fowle of the 31st North Carolina appeared under a flag of truce representing Colonel Shaw. Fowle asked terms of surrender and was told by BG Foster that the only acceptable terms would be "those of unconditional surrender." Fowle asked time for consultation with Shaw and returned to the Confederate fort accompanied by Major Stevenson of the 24th Massachusetts. When a prompt reply was not forthcoming Foster became impatient and started advancing the 24th toward the camp. Before any further hostilities could take place a flag of truce bearer met the column and announced acceptance of the terms. The 23rd Massachusetts was sent forward to secure the camp without incident. Colonel Shaw surrendered 2488 officers and men. The casualty list for the brief fight showed 24 Confederates killed and 222 wounded. The surrender led to an investigation by the Confederate Congress. In the end the committe there absolved BG Wise of responsibility and blamed MG Benjamin Huger and Secretary of War J. P. Benjamin for failing to adequately support the outpost. Union losses amounted to 41 killed and 242 wounded or missing. The small, sloppy affair granted Burnside his first victory of the campaign. Roanoke Island was his.

Back