The Battle of Port Royal

USS ALASKA

Captain
Been reading about the Battle of Port Royal. It appears that Du Pont had a plan. During the beginning of the action, the USS Mohican, under Commander Sylvanus W. Godon, went off the board for 50 points and decided to do his own thing. And other ships followed him.

OK, the battle was won at a time when the Union was desperate for good news...

1. Were Du Pont's orders clear and concise so that there wasn't any way subordinate commanders could say they didn't understand?

2. If so, was Godon ever disciplined for his disobeying of orders? His later career wouldn't indicate he was - or maybe it was ignored. He was promoted to Commodore then Rear Admiral.

'In frustration he (Du Pont) called out to Steedman (Commander Charles Steedman of the USS Bienville), "How is it that I can't get my signal obeyed and my orders carried out?" '

Thanks for the help,
USS ALASKA

Charleston Mercury 1-14-62

US Navy report of ordinance expended in the Port Royal battle in November '61:
Powder: 22,980 lbs
Shot/Shell: 300 11" shell
54 10" shell
508 9" shell
701 8" shell
704 32-pdr shell
128 80-pdr Dahlgren projectiles
54 12-pdr Dahlgren howitzer projectiles
66 30-pdr Parrott projectiles
2 68-pdr solid shot
75 32-pdr solid shot

That makes a total of 2592 projectiles fired!!! I would have guessed maybe 2 or 300, not 2700.

@DaveBrt

Wow...

2592 divided by the 63 Confederate causalities = 41 projectiles per...

Then again if I was one of those Union gents who had to assault the fortifications, heck - rounds are CHEAP! Fire away...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

In my (limited) understanding, Godon spotted an opportunity (to better enfilade the defensive position) and took the initiative. Du Pont was of course livid that his plan was not being followed, but I think that after he heard Godon out he understood why it had happened.

Godon and Du Pont were on good terms, I believe, and if he presented a strong case to Du Pont, I'm sure the latter would have allowed that it was a reasonable decision.

I have a book specifically about the battle I haven't gotten to yet. So many books, so little time...

"128 80-pdr Dahlgren projectiles"?

Sounds like somebody had an elusive 6" Dahlgren rifle on board, like the Cumberland had received in 1862. No photo or plan of this gun has yet turned up.

Back