The Battle of Perryville, Kentucky, October 8, 1862

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
James, I got another chance to see the rest of your thread on Perryville. It is very good. I wish I could go back to Perryville, but at least I got to see the sites again. Thank you for your photo tour again.
My pleasure! Perryville had been on my "bucket list" ever since the 1962 Centennial when I sent for a large tabloid souvenir program that accompanied the reenactment. It was all about the Civil War in Kentucky, not only the battle, and had all sorts of tempting information - I still have it somewhere but haven't looked at now for many years.

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Great thread, I went to Perryville in 2016 for the reenactment, my first East of the Mississippi, and it along with a stop by the Civil War museum in Bardstown was a trip to remember, especially with a memorable prank on the company cook I'm still laughing over. The battlefield park was beyond impressive, when I was there they were working to remove most modern influences on the park, including moving power lines to restore the 1862 appearance, and I have to say they were doing an impressive job, I have to return again one day.

Coonewah Creek

First Sergeant
Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas, was sidelined during the campaign acting as Buell's second-in-command accompanying Crittenden's force where he exercised no influence over coming events, since this force of some 22,000 took no part in the battle!
Probably the best performance Joe Wheeler's cavalry ever put in on a battlefield, immobilizing 20,000 Yankee infantry!:wink:

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Probably the best performance Joe Wheeler's cavalry ever put in on a battlefield, immobilizing 20,000 Yankee infantry!:wink:
I think they were more immobilized by Buell's and Thomas' lackadaisical performance (admittedly aversely affected by the sound inversion); Gilbert's timorous advance; and effects of the unseasonable heat and drought.

cake1979

Private
This thread needs a bump! This is awesome! I would really like to go to Perryville for my Birthday, but convincing my mom and dad to make the three hour drive, and have my brother complain about it all the way...slim chance.
You just need to make a convincing argument and find someone to take your side. After all, it’s your birthday. Then your family will forever tell the story of the time you dragged them to Perryville. 25 years later, my younger brothers still complain about a detour we made to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, in the middle of winter, where I looked at everything in their then-extensive collection, indoors and out. They stayed in the car after they lost feeling in their extremities.

Make those family memories! Perryville is worth it. And Harrodsburg isn’t too far away either!

Ethan S.

Private
You just need to make a convincing argument and find someone to take your side. After all, it’s your birthday. Then your family will forever tell the story of the time you dragged them to Perryville. 25 years later, my younger brothers still complain about a detour we made to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, in the middle of winter, where I looked at everything in their then-extensive collection, indoors and out. They stayed in the car after they lost feeling in their extremities.

Make those family memories! Perryville is worth it. And Harrodsburg isn’t too far away either!

NOBODY can out debate my mom, lol!

Will Carry

Sergeant
I love these posts. The meat of the forum! Lumsden's Battery unlimbered on the hill just north of Widow Bottom. They had a 3" iron rifled gun that was very accurate. Pvt. Isaac Mason was not yet with the battery. He joined the battery after the Confederate victory at Stone's River as they went to Chattanooga to whoop'm agin.

Last edited: