The Battle of Middle Creek, Kentucky (1862)

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
The Battle of Middle Creek was fought on January 10, 1862. Maintaining control of the state of Kentucky was very important to President Abraham Lincoln. This battle (skirmish) was part of an overall strategy designed to keep his native state within the Union fold. The Battle of Middle Creek was a tragic example of the fratricidal, neighbor-against-neighbor warfare that characterized the struggle for Kentucky. Men of the 14th Kentucky Infantry, U.S.A. and the 22nd Kentucky Infantry, U.S.A., charged up the steep hillsides overlooking Middle Creek and engaged in hand-to-hand combat with men of the 5th Kentucky Infantry, C.S.A. The battle was also a testing-ground on which reputations were made and lost. The badly-needed Union victory brought national attention to an obscure Ohio preparatory school principal and teacher named James A. Garfield. This conflict launched him on a military career that would lead to the White House. The precipitous Confederate retreat which followed the battle cast a shadow over Brigadier General Humphrey Marshall and called into question his competence as a military commander.

Ax01516 (2).jpg

Garfield-2-1040x750 (2).jpg

bji32321 (2).jpg

DSC_0670 (3).JPG

DSC_0691 (3).JPG

DSC_0687 (3).JPG

DSC_0727 (2).JPG

DSC_0696 (3).JPG

DSC_0699 (2).JPG

DSC_0706 (3).JPG

DSC_0684 (2).JPG

DSC_0686 (2).JPG

DSC_0711 (2).JPG

DSC_0717.JPG

DSC_0712 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Thanks and you are welcome!

I enjoy visiting and posting threads like this thread regarding little well known battles in the American Civil War. But I get the feeling the majority of my fellow members don't find much interest in these sites. I could be wrong...

Bill

At least as far as I'm concerned, you would be wrong, Bill.....

Those are great pictures. Thanks for posting them. One of these days I'll hopefully get around to reading up on the action in Kentucky and paying a visit to that state.

Thanks and you are welcome!

I enjoy visiting and posting threads like this thread regarding little well known battles in the American Civil War. But I get the feeling the majority of my fellow members don't find much interest in these sites. I could be wrong...

Bill
I can't speak for the majority, but I appreciate these types of threads...actually I prefer them to the well-known battle threads. And your pictures are always top-notch.

Thanks guys....

My main goal with these types of threads is to open up discussions about the "Off the Beaten Path" American Civil War battlefields and sites. Don't get me wrong, I love the well known ACW battlefields. There is just something special about the lesser known battlefields and sites.

Bill

P.S. Thanks @donna !!!

Thanks guys....

My main goal with these types of threads is to open up discussions about the "Off the Beaten Path" American Civil War battlefields and sites. Don't get me wrong, I love the well known ACW battlefields. There is just something special about the lesser known battlefields and sites.

Bill

P.S. Thanks @donna !!!
I agree . Places like this and Camp Wildcat interest me very much.

Back