The Battle of Lexington State Historic Site

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
I am currently visiting my little sister and her family in Boonville, Missouri. Today we decided to take a day trip to Lexington and tour the Battle of the Hemp Bales battlefield. I visited this American Civil War battlefield in 2011. During my first visit, the visitor center was closed and the temperature was 29 degrees. It was mid January....

Bill

20210526_155540.jpg

20210525_162145.jpg

20210526_153426.jpg

I really enjoyed the photographs. The State-sponsored reenactment at Lexington in 1981 was the first one I took part in. The remaining entrenchment don't show up very well in the photos, but they are well defined. Unfortunately they represent less than a fourth of the fortified line held by Mulligan's men. The Anderson House is one of the chief attractions. During early skirmishing, as the State Guard advanced through the town, the Federals had established a hospital in the house. Once the encirclement was complete it lay outside their lines, protected only by a hospital flag. After the State Guard occupied it with sharpshooters, it was charged by a party of volunteers from the Federal trenches and temporarily recaptured. Angered at what they saw as the military use of a hospital, the Federals took no prisoners before they were driven back. A Union bugler won the Medal of Honor for his part in the action.

Bill, are you going to be in town for a few days?
Got time for lunch?

We are leaving this morning towards Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield. We will be back late on Saturday night from Hot Springs, Arkansas. We leave early Sunday morning towards Cincinnati. I have to work on Memorial Day. We will hook up on our next visit....

Bill

I am currently visiting my little sister and her family in Boonville, Missouri. Today we decided to take a day trip to Lexington and tour the Battle of the Hemp Bales battlefield. I visited this American Civil War battlefield in 2011. During my first visit, the visitor center was closed and the temperature was 29 degrees. It was mid January....

Bill

View attachment 402022

View attachment 402023

View attachment 402024
Great photos.They inspire me to go there someday.

In the meantime what can you tell me about the hemp bales?
Is there any truth that either side used land mines or fougasses (or any other similar forms of defense )in this battle ?
Does anyone have information about any of the above being actually used in this battle?

We are leaving this morning towards Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield. We will be back late on Saturday night from Hot Springs, Arkansas. We leave early Sunday morning towards Cincinnati. I have to work on Memorial Day. We will hook up on our next visit....

Bill
In Hot Springs be sure to check out the (fairly recent) historical marker to a nearby CW skirmish.
Its on Central Ave. just north of the visitor center, near the circular mineral water supply.
That's just south of the Bill Clinton sign (he is carved in wood, remembering his 1964 graduation from nearby Central HS)

Bill
Well then, you have a safe and fun trip and keep on posting those pictures. Have a safe and fun trip and we'll see you next time.

I normally visit my cousin in Lexington at least a few times a year and we always walk the battlefield when I do. However, we haven't been together in more than a year now, and I can see that several enhancements have been made to the site. I always enjoy seeing your pictures, Bill, and seeing these sites through your eyes.

Back