The Battle of Harrisonburg, Virginia

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
While at an appointment yesterday I looked up Civil War sites and tried to get to a few monuments. Here are a few.

DSC_4313-2.jpg

DSC_4314.jpg

DSC_4315-2.jpg

DSC_4316-2.jpg

DSC_4317-2.jpg

DSC_4318.jpg

DSC_4319.jpg

DSC_4320-2.jpg

DSC_4321-2.jpg

DSC_4322.jpg

DSC_4323-2.jpg

DSC_4324-2.jpg

Possibly Stonewalls J.E.B. Stuart. Ashby was a very colorful character but lacked the discipline J.E.B. controlled his troops with. Regardless, Ashby was a very talented Cavalier. Yes, I said Cavalier.

Was this headstone below a relative of the Kempers?

View attachment 298196

I'm not sure. I searched at it appears that their son William Perin Kemper died on September 7, 1862 of wounds from 2nd Manassas. So the date of death is close, but their William was born in 1840

William Michie Kemper also served in Co. B of the 10th Va, but he was killed at Chancellorsville on 5/3/63.

It's possible these two men are confused and the stone is wrong.

Was this headstone below a relative of the Kempers?

View attachment 298196
Dave, when you walk through the Cemetery Gate, there were unidentified Confederate Soldiers buried along that fence to the left.
Later on after the battle, 2 soldiers were known to be buried there, and the families put up 2 stones in their remembrance.
Maybe one day we could drink a cup of coffee and do a little more looking around.

Dave, when you walk through the Cemetery Gate, there were unidentified Confederate Soldiers buried along that fence to the left.
Later on after the battle, 2 soldiers were known to be buried there, and the families put up 2 stones in their remembrance.
Maybe one day we could drink a cup of coffee and do a little more looking around.
I would love that. I walked all around, but didn't take photos of everything. Let's do it.

Are these the two you are referring to? They are to the left of the gate.

DSC_4260.jpg

DSC_4258.jpg

Several years ago I visited Ashby's monument and it was back in the woods, now it appears to be in someone's backyard.

Back