The Battle of Harpers Ferry - Jackson's Greatest Victory?

Cavalier

First Sergeant
I appreciate these bumps on subjects that were posted before I was able to view this site. I need to learn much more about this subject especially since my ancestor was among the 12,000 guys captured here.

Thank you.

John

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
I appreciate these bumps on subjects that were posted before I was able to view this site. I need to learn much more about this subject especially since my ancestor was among the 12,000 guys captured here.

Thank you.

John
My pleasure! Happily for them - though many failed to realize it at the time - they were lucky enough to be paroled instantly by A. P. Hill before he set out for his own rendezvous with destiny at Antietam. A couple of years later some place like Andersonville might've been their fate! Many of the parolees, who were new soldiers in the first place, resented having to go to parole camps and cool their heels until the paperwork fulfilling and confirming their paroles was complete, which could sometimes be a lengthy process.

Cavalier

First Sergeant
James N. Well, as it happens my ancestor does get captured again in 1864 and goes Andersonville. He died a pow after being moved to another prison.

John

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
James N. Well, as it happens my ancestor does get captured again in 1864 and goes Andersonville. He died a pow after being moved to another prison.

John
That of course was due to the failure of prisoner exchange because of complications regarding the disputed status of black soldiers fighting for the North. I'll wager he wished it had been like "the good ol' days" of Harper's Ferry!

Last edited:

Tennis

Corporal
My pleasure! Happily for them - though many failed to realize it at the time - they were lucky enough to be paroled instantly by A. P. Hill before he set out for his own rendezvous with destiny at Antietam. A couple of years later some place like Andersonville might've been their fate! Many of the parolees, who were new soldiers in the first place, resented having to go to parole camps and cool their heels until the paperwork fulfilling and confirming their paroles was complete, which could sometimes be a lengthy process.

they were lucky enough to be paroled instantly by A. P. Hill - Good practice until procedure ended

Cavalier

First Sergeant
James N. He was also " severely" wounded at Gettysburg on July 2nd. where, according to their colonel his regiment lost 50 % casualties in about twenty minutes. From what I can determine he was captured the second time shortly after returning to the army and ended up in Andersonville and later passing away in So. Carolina as a pow. Thank you for your comments.

John

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
image-11-jpg.jpg

Here's a *BUMP* for today's anniversary of Stonewall's victory at Harper's Ferry - the photo was taken by my mother on our very first visit there in July, 1961 and shows me at Jefferson Rock overlooking the Potomac River.