Franklin The Battle of Franklin, Tennessee

Nice piece, Bill. Lots of good men died there. There was an excellent piece on CBS SUNDAY MORNING today about the effort to acquire some of the original battlefield and restore it as closely as possible to its 1864 appearance. It has involved purchasing a lot of private and commercial property, relocating businesses, removal of modern structures and so on. I imagine it's available on demand via the CBS or the program's websites.

I will make another trip to this city when the Carter Cotton Gin complex is completed.

Thank you for the compliments!!!

Bill

Nice piece, Bill. Lots of good men died there. There was an excellent piece on CBS SUNDAY MORNING today about the effort to acquire some of the original battlefield and restore it as closely as possible to its 1864 appearance. It has involved purchasing a lot of private and commercial property, relocating businesses, removal of modern structures and so on. I imagine it's available on demand via the CBS or the program's websites.

I've been following this for years. Kind of a Crowning Moment of Awesome for battlefield preservation and quite probably the only preservation effort of its kind where land has actually been removed from development in significant quantities. Pretty cool in an environmental sense, too.

If this keeps up, they'll have a nice Ground Zero for a State Park in a few years. :D

Micheal Chapman

Thank you very much!
It's great stuff that I appreciate both as an instrumental music lover and a wannabe guitar player.
I also appreciate lyrical art; the following just seems right for the whole "last hurrah" of the Army of Tennessee:
Strange places we have been since our dreams began to fade
Whatever became of all the promises we made...

I've been following this for years. Kind of a Crowning Moment of Awesome for battlefield preservation and quite probably the only preservation effort of its kind where land has actually been removed from development in significant quantities. Pretty cool in an environmental sense, too.

If this keeps up, they'll have a nice Ground Zero for a State Park in a few years. :D

Thanks for the reminder......and a reminder from me that the newest campaign for the Civil War Trust is to recover the parcel south of the Carter House (Imagine being able to look at the property from the angle of the attacking Confederates!)

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/saving-three-acres-at-franklin.106431/#post-991398

Back