Restricted The Battle of Duval

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
What were the groups that showed up Charlottesville to protest against confederate monument removal?
The Virginia Division of the SCV sent out notice to all camps, specifically to NOT show up to that rally, as the SCV was NOT affiliated with the organizer of that event, or the groups associated with him.

The organizer of that event was outed not long after, for playing both sides. He was a paid, professional agitator.

DanSBHawk

Captain
If the okay sign is racist than we are so far into Alice in wonderland we are done.
I'm surprised that this is news to posters. I won't comment on this anymore because it's closer to modern politics than strictly about confederate monuments. Anyone can google "ok sign." The thing to keep in mind is that there is a controversy about it, and people who introduce that into the already controversial atmosphere of a confederate monument or whatever, are just increasing the level of polarization and politicization.

DanSBHawk

Captain
The Virginia Division of the SCV sent out notice to all camps, specifically to NOT show up to that rally, as the SCV was NOT affiliated with the organizer of that event, or the groups associated with him.

The organizer of that event was outed not long after, for playing both sides. He was a paid, professional agitator.
That's good to hear. But the fact is that those other kinds of groups feel an affinity for the confederacy. So they are going to be associated in the public perception.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
That's good to hear. But the fact is that those other kinds of groups feel an affinity for the confederacy. So they are going to be associated in the public perception.
Still doesn't make it right, or factual. Plenty of supremacist, & or hate groups have an affinity for the US Flag, & it's symbols too.

People are going to believe what they want to believe. Many times, people believe propaganda. As Mark Twain said (paraphrasing): It's easier to lie to someone, than convince them they've been lied to.

PapaReb

First Sergeant
Anyone that feels threatened or offended my something as insignificant as a hand gesture that might or might not mean something is simply looking for an excuse to be offended or make a claim of some vague threat.

But of course in this current lunatic asylum we find ourselves in, some are ajjowed to be offended and some are not.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Nobody's answered the question as to why renaming a school that had nothing to do with the confederacy should even be controversial.

Here is the Anti Defamation League on the hand sign. Started as a joke and now apparently it's been adopted by some in the racist crowd.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture
Certainly agree with most relevant part....

"The overwhelming usage of the “okay” hand gesture today is still its traditional purpose as a gesture signifying assent or approval. As a result, someone who uses the symbol cannot be assumed to be using the symbol in either a trolling or, especially, white supremacist context unless other contextual evidence exists to support the contention. Since 2017, many people have been falsely accused of being racist or white supremacist for using the “okay” gesture in its traditional and innocuous sense."

In a debate over a name, signalling one thinks the name is OK, certainly shouldn't be as assumed as anything as the ADL itself says.

Last edited:
Nobody's answered the question as to why renaming a school that had nothing to do with the confederacy should even be controversial.
Probably because its irrelevant, as keeping the name shouldn't be controversial by the same argument.....

I agree the school has no connection to the Confederacy. Naming a school or any other place after a famous person doesn't link it to anything other then providing a name.

Last edited:

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
There are lots of schools named after people that had nothing to do with said school. Some folks consider it, cultural marxism, or cultural genocide, to rename all of these schools. There are lots of buildings, & schools named after folks I don't personally care for. Yet, I'm not in favor of cancelling, or renaming them.

I know plenty of people who are in favor of renaming Confederate named schools, would lose their minds if some of the schools, or buildings I'm thinking of, got in the rename crosshairs.

As I've said many times. It will be interesting to see where things end up, & sadly, I won't be shedding any tears for the current renaming crowd when their stuff gets cancelled.

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
That is just plain ridiculous.
Exactly! How in the world are typical citizens supposed to be expected to keep up with stuff like this? Of all things, I would have never expected the "OK" sign to be construed to mean anything other than "OK." I mean its signified "OK" since when? ....the beginning of time? And now suddenly it means something else? Who makes this stuff up?

Exactly! How in the world are typical citizens supposed to be expected to keep up with stuff like this? Of all things, I would have never expected the "OK" sign to be construed to mean anything other than "OK." I mean its signified "OK" since when? ....the beginning of time? And now suddenly it means something else? Who makes this stuff up?
Would guess the same people who see bigfoot behind trees and UFO's streaking across the sky..........not surprising really, seems a real rash of crazy conspiracy or paranormal type shows.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Would guess the same people who see bigfoot behind trees and UFO's streaking across the sky..........not surprising really, seems a real rash of crazy conspiracy or paranormal type shows.
As I said earlier, google it if you want to know how and why it became a thing.

As I said earlier, google it if you want to know how and why it became a thing.
Bigfoot, UFO's, or paranormal, all have become things as the bizarre reinterpetation of a OK sign, they just aren't very credible things. Like I said the article you linked even says the majority of it's use is simply as OK and so motive shouldn't be assumed.....so I won't assume some bizzare interpretation.

I have no doubt from TV shows I have seen "some" people wish to see and believe in all kinds of bizarre conspiracies and things that aren't there, doesn't mean I or others shares them however.

But guess thats what makes conspiracies attractive to some...you don't need any actual proof of anything, such as what his hand signal means in this case, because it's assumed some "secret" meaning.....it's like the KGC or aliens in area 51....there's little in way of evidence because it's secret don't you know.....

Last edited:

DanSBHawk

Captain
Bigfoot, UFO's, or paranormal, all have become things as the bizarre reinterpetation of a OK sign, they just aren't very credible things. Like I said the article you linked even says the majority of it's use is simply as OK and so motive shouldn't be assumed.....so I won't assume some bizzare interpretation.

I have no doubt from TV shows I have seen "some" people wish to see and believe in all kinds of bizarre conspiracies and things that aren't there, doesn't mean I or others shares them however.

But guess thats what makes conspiracies attractive to some...you don't need any actual proof of anything, such as what his hand signal means in this case, because it's assumed some "secret" meaning.....it's like the KGC or aliens in area 51....there's little in way of evidence because it's secret don't you know.....
In other words, you don't wish to learn anything about this modern appropriation of the ok sign. That's fine. Not sure why you weighed in on it. Simply don't google it.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Sometimes it’s not the renaming itself that’s the issue or “big deal”, it’s the caving in to the mob mentality and lunacy of it all.
Every renaming has some advocates behind it. What makes some, lunatic "mobs?"

Last edited: