Restricted The Battle of Duval

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant

School name change opponents place Confederate flags around district headquarters​

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Demonstrators gathered outside the Southbank headquarters of Duval County Public Schools Wednesday evening as the school board considers whether to rebrand nine schools with controversial names.

The final decision on school name changes recommended by the superintendent is expected at the board meeting on Tuesday, but supporters and opponents of the measure weren’t waiting to make their voices heard.

Opponents to the name changes posted about a dozen confederate flags on Duval Schools’ property as people gathered. Others brought megaphones, promising to sing “Dixie” when the other side begins speaking....
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...nfederate-flags-around-district-headquarters/

1622210864979.png

PapaReb

First Sergeant
While I commend them for taking a stand I think that their posting of battle flags (which are viewed by many now as a white supremecist symbol) and the singing of Dixie (which some view as a pro- slavery anthem) may do more to hinder their efforts than help it.
So much of our Southern history and culture has been hijacked that much of what many of us hold dear is misunderstood by the mainstream.

Last edited:

DanSBHawk

Captain
The one pro-confederate protestor is carrying zip-ties and flashing the white supremacists hand sign. That does nothing to help his cause.

At least they are trying
I dont see Chula Vista California citizens with US flags protesting the vote to remove Christopher Columbus statue from their town this week.
Again, at least they are trying - What risks are they taking to be seen even voicing opposition to the proposal?
How many of us would take such a risk?

DanSBHawk

Captain
I see a pro-name changer give the 'black power' salute.
A raised fist is not just a black power thing. It's been used by many groups, like organized Labor, to show unity and strength against oppression.

These heritage groups are so associated with white supremacy, that you'd think they'd want to avoid that perception in order to gain public support.

DanSBHawk

Captain
So, why is there this resistance to renaming a school? It was built long after the war. It has no ties to the confederates it's named after. It's not like a monument or memorial that specifically exists to remember a person. It's not destroying any Civil War history to rename it.

Why care?

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
These heritage groups are so associated with white supremacy, that you'd think they'd want to avoid that perception in order to gain public support.
What heritage groups..? The SCV & UDC are adamantly AGAINST racism of any kind, & will remove members associated with actual hate groups like the Klan, Skin heads, etc.

DanSBHawk

Captain
What heritage groups..? The SCV & UDC are adamantly AGAINST racism of any kind, & will remove members associated with actual hate groups like the Klan, Skin heads, etc.
They may be cracking down now, and if so, good for them. But there is still an association between white supremacists and confederate heritage.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Here is the Anti Defamation League on the hand sign. Started as a joke and now apparently it's been adopted by some in the racist crowd.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture
From your article:

Another is the hand sign of the Three Percenter movement, a wing of the anti-government extremist militia movement. Three Percenters, who are right-wing extremists but are not typically white supremacists, often make a hand gesture to symbolize their movement that uses the outstretched middle, ring, and pinky fingers to represent a Roman numeral “3.” This gesture, from certain angles, can often resemble an “okay” hand gesture and has been misinterpreted by some as a white supremacist symbol.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
They may be cracking down now, and if so, good for them. But there is still an association between white supremacists and confederate heritage.
Because you say so, doesn't make it so. I realize you're not alone but, because people that hate folks who support, or honor their Confederate heritage, make claims of such, again doesn't make it so.

Show me something from the SCV, or UDC supporting today's KKK, or ANY supremacist group.

More times than not, those making such claims support other supremacist groups themselves. Separatist, or supremacist groups are wrong regardless of of the ethnicity they are for. At least in my opinion.

DanSBHawk

Captain
Because you say so, doesn't make it so. I realize you're not alone but, because people that hate folks who support, or honor their Confederate heritage, make claims of such, again doesn't make it so.

Show me something from the SCV, or UDC supporting today's KKK, or ANY supremacist group.

More times than not, those making such claims support other supremacist groups themselves. Separatist, or supremacist groups are wrong regardless of of the ethnicity they are for. At least in my opinion.
What were the groups that showed up Charlottesville to protest against confederate monument removal?

DanSBHawk

Captain
From your article:
It's all about context. Also from the article:

"By 2019, at least some white supremacists seem to have abandoned the ironic or satiric intent behind the original trolling campaign and used the symbol as a sincere expression of white supremacy, such as when Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant flashed the symbol during a March 2019 courtroom appearance soon after his arrest for allegedly murdering 50 people in a shooting spree at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand."​

Last edited: