The Battle of Droop Mountain West Virginia.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today I read a magazine article about the battle of Droop Mountain in an older Civil War Times magazine . Some historians claim that the Battle of Droop Mountain ended organized Confederate resistance in West Virginia. The article made me wonder in Sheridan was justified in relieving Brigadier General William Averell over the battle. I did not see where Averell performed badly enough to get relieved. Averell had won several battle prior to the Battle of Droop Mountain and is considered the victor at the Battle of Droop Mountain.

The Battle of Droop Mountain is not often the subject of books or magazine articles. If it was the battle that ended organized Confederate resistance in West Virginia perhaps it should get a bit more attention. If I was ever in eastern West Virginia is there anything to see at the Droop Mountain battle site?

Bryce

Private
Today I read a magazine article about the battle of Droop Mountain in an older Civil War Times magazine . Some historians claim that the Battle of Droop Mountain ended organized Confederate resistance in West Virginia. The article made me wonder in Sheridan was justified in relieving Brigadier General William Averell over the battle. I did not see where Averell performed badly enough to get relieved. Averell had won several battle prior to the Battle of Droop Mountain and is considered the victor at the Battle of Droop Mountain.

The Battle of Droop Mountain is not often the subject of books or magazine articles. If it was the battle that ended organized Confederate resistance in West Virginia perhaps it should get a bit more attention. If I was ever in eastern West Virginia is there anything to see at the Droop Mountain battle site?
I do not believe that Shwas justified in removing Averell. Shrtidan’s chief of cavalry – – Torbert – – had performed even worse

The emerging Civil War series has a good book on the summer and fall campaigns in the Shenandoah. The authors also think that Averell got a bum deal

A few months later Sheridan relieved GK Warren after that general won the battle of five forks

Bryce

Private

Averell won the first union victory Of the war over Stuart’s confederate cavalry at Kelly’s Ford in March 1863. The period of March through June 1863 is thought by many historians to be the birth of the army of the Potomac‘s Calvary as a serious foe

I think there is a book on droop mountain. Eric Wittenburg wrote a book about March through June 1863 called the union cavalry comes of age