The Battle of Atlanta, Georgia (July 22, 1864)

Nice photo, A351......

I would assume this photo was take somewhere in the vicinity of modern Glenwood Avenue just east of Moreland Avenue.

Traffic in that area is a nightmare!

I entered the city through the north and my first stop was Tanyard Creek Park (Battle of Peachtree Creek) before morning rush-hour. I then traveled south to the east (Battle of Atlanta). I made my way through some traffic as I traveled to Grant Park (Cyclorama and Fort Walker) and Oakland Cemetery. Around noon, I stopped by the state capitol building. I then traveled to Mozely Park and Westview Cemetery (Battle of Ezra Church). Cascade Springs Nature Preserve (Battle of Utoy Creek) was next on my itinerary. I was under the impression this venue closed at 1700 hours. I pulled up to the preserve at 1510 hours and the gates were locked. The preserve closed at 1500 hours. I then departed the preserve and headed south towards Jonosboro and Lovejoy's Station (Nash Farm Battlefield).

My best advice traveling around the city of Atlanta......

Start early in the north and get out of the city by 1500 hours. The traffic surrounding this city is brutal!!!

Bill

* The Atlanta History Center opens at 1000 hours not 0900 hours. Next time....

By the way.....

This was my very first time traveling through the city of Atlanta, Georgia in a vehicle.

The symbols on the Confederate gravestones are the Southern Cross of Honor.

Here is a great website to locate markers and their location........

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=8889

Bill

Thanks! Then the SCV logo must derive from the SCH...
GraveStoneSymbol.jpg
SCV_LOGO.jpg

I'm in Athens, 66 miles east of Atlanta. You get pretty good at timing and route selection when you live here but one misstep by one person can throw the whole thing into chaos. If I'm going anywhere north of the city I leave at 5am.

Don't you just love that? It's the same here: leave just four minutes after you're supposed to and spend an extra day on the road! LOL

The Troup Hurt House: that is where Maginault's brigade temporarily broke through the Federal line, right? Was the what looks like a church in the picture 'tacked on' to the original structure or a complete rebuild on the site?

I'm in Athens, 66 miles east of Atlanta. You get pretty good at timing and route selection when you live here but one misstep by one person can throw the whole thing into chaos. If I'm going anywhere north of the city I leave at 5am.
Recent visits to the Cyclorama, the Atlanta Zoo, Atlanta History Center, and a Battle of Atlanta historical marker scavenger hunt put me Inside the Perimeter more than usual lately. I find that if you drive a old beat up 1984 Dodge Prospector Van with obvious loose springs they pretty much get out of the way if they can. :frantic:

Recent visits to the Cyclorama, the Atlanta Zoo, Atlanta History Center, and a Battle of Atlanta historical marker scavenger hunt put me Inside the Perimeter more than usual lately. I find that if you drive a old beat up 1984 Dodge Prospector Van with obvious loose springs they pretty much get out of the way if they can. :frantic:
I've never driven my 66 Chevy Longbed Fleetside over there but I think the glasspacks on the 350 would get attention!

"The loss of the Atlanta battlefields is, I think, the single greatest tragedy in the history of Civil War battlefield preservation."

Loss or tragedy, the Atlanta battlefields have been gone long before we were born. In some places of Atlanta, the suburbs, one can hardly recognize some area after a twenty year visit. Atlantans and Georgians did not preserve Union victories. Any battlefield saved in Georgia over 10 acres is probably a Confederate victory. It was probably too hard to fathom that the Confederates lost the war.

"The loss of the Atlanta battlefields is, I think, the single greatest tragedy in the history of Civil War battlefield preservation."

Loss or tragedy, the Atlanta battlefields have been gone long before we were born. In some places of Atlanta, the suburbs, one can hardly recognize some area after a twenty year visit. Atlantans and Georgians did not preserve Union victories. Any battlefield saved in Georgia over 10 acres is probably a Confederate victory. It was probably too hard to fathom that the Confederates lost the war.

There are only 2 save battlefields out of dozens so even though your point is well made I may disagree.

Most of the battlefields lay along the railroad to Chattanooga and hwy 41 (Dixie Hwy) which has seen development since the early 1900s. Then add in the construction of I-75 (I have heard its the heaviest volume interstate in the states) along the same route which added to the development. Kennesaw was saved because the government appropriated enough funds for 1 park and that was between Peachtree Creek and Kennesaw. Peachtree Creek was already in a residential area by the late 1800s and Kennesaw was in the boonies. Plus you can't develop a mountain, really. Then add the fact that some of Kennesaw had already been purchased by veteran organizations.
Aside from these:
Pickett's Mill I don't know the story of but it could be likely that there was more interest in it due to the Confed victory, I don't know.
Other than those the Cascade Nature Preserve is on a small part of the battle of Utoy Creek by mere coincidence (Confederate victory).
Resaca has been recently preserved (Battle was basically a draw).
Rocky Face Ridge has been somewhat preserved due to the roughness of the terrain being unsuitable for development (Confed victory)
Dug Gap has been saved (Confed victory)
Griswoldville has been saved (Federal victory)
Allatoona Pass (Federal victory)
Brown's Mill (Confed victory)
Parts of the River Line (Confed withdrawal)
Lovejoy Station (Confed victory but I think the land they saved turned out to not even be the actual battlefield)

Major battlefields lost:

Tunnel Hill (Confed)
Lay's Ferry (Federal)
Rome Crossroads (Confed)
Cassville (Confed withdrawal)
Dallas (Federal)
New Hope Church (Confed)
Ruff's Mill (Confed)
Smyrna Campground (Confed)
River crossings (Federal)
Moore's Mill (skirmish, Confed withdrawal)
Peachtree Creek (Federal)
Atlanta (Federal)
Ezra Church (Federal)
Atlanta defenses except Fort Walker
Sunshine Church (Confed)
Jonesboro (Federal)

What else is there?

Actually Illinois vets made the first purchase of Kennesaw:

In 1899, sixty acres of land was purchased by Lansing J. Dawdy, an Illinois veteran of the battle, near the Dead Angle, the buldge in the Confederate lines where 500 men from the state of Illinois died during The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain. The year of 1904 saw the property transferred to the Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Association. To commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the battle, 1914, the organization erected a monument dedicated to the Illinois soldiers.

However, the association was unable to restore the battlefield as planned, and transferred ownership of the property to the federal government in 1916 followed by the War Departmenttaking over management of the land in 1917.

That same year, the Congress authorized the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield site. During the 1930's a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was established near Pigeon Hill, still a large open field just off one of the park service roads. Workers from this camp were responsible for many of the improvements in the park, including many of the hiking trails. Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield was transferred to the Department of the Interior as a unit of the National Park System in 1933. The park itself was not formed until 1935. The elevation of Kennesaw Mountain is 1808 feet above sea level. While hiking up to the top, an elevation of 708 feet is gained in the short 1.2 miles.

There are only 2 save battlefields out of dozens so even though your point is well made I may disagree.

Most of the battlefields lay along the railroad to Chattanooga and hwy 41 (Dixie Hwy) which has seen development since the early 1900s. Then add in the construction of I-75 (I have heard its the heaviest volume interstate in the states) along the same route which added to the development. Kennesaw was saved because the government appropriated enough funds for 1 park and that was between Peachtree Creek and Kennesaw. Peachtree Creek was already in a residential area by the late 1800s and Kennesaw was in the boonies. Plus you can't develop a mountain, really. Then add the fact that some of Kennesaw had already been purchased by veteran organizations.
Aside from these:
Pickett's Mill I don't know the story of but it could be likely that there was more interest in it due to the Confed victory, I don't know.
Other than those the Cascade Nature Preserve is on a small part of the battle of Utoy Creek by mere coincidence (Confederate victory).
Rocky Face Ridge has been somewhat preserved due to the roughness of the terrain being unsuitable for development (Confed victory)
Lovejoy Station (Confed victory but I think the land they saved turned out to not even be the actual battlefield)

Major battlefields lost:

Tunnel Hill (Confed)
Lay's Ferry (Federal)
Rome Crossroads (Confed)
Dallas (Federal)
New Hope Church (Confed)
Ruff's Mill (Confed)
Atlanta (Federal)
Ezra Church (Federal)
Sunshine Church (Confed)
Jonesboro (Federal)

What else is there?

I really enjoyed traveling from Ringgold Gap to Jonesboro on Highway 41. There are so many Atlanta Campaign sites. The majority of the battlefields are long gone but there is enough remaining to get a sense of the conflicts.

Has the precise location of the Jesse Clay farmhouse ever been pinpointed?
Just curious, because my relative who was KIA on 7/22/64 in the 66th Ill. (Western Sharpshooters) originally was buried "400 yards s. of Clay's house, in open field" before his remains were later removed and reburied at Marietta National Cemetery. I'm thinking he was buried more or less where he fell that day. If so, he was most likely blazing away with his Henry Repeating Rifle on that spot, desperately trying to stave off Hardee's attack, when an enemy bullet found him.
When I look at a map, it looks possible that the spot, west of the present-day school, might be under the Interstate now. Not sure.

Has the precise location of the Jesse Clay farmhouse ever been pinpointed?
Just curious, because my relative who was KIA on 7/22/64 in the 66th Ill. (Western Sharpshooters) originally was buried "400 yards s. of Clay's house, in open field" before his remains were later removed and reburied at Marietta National Cemetery. I'm thinking he was buried more or less where he fell that day. If so, he was most likely blazing away with his Henry Repeating Rifle on that spot, desperately trying to stave off Hardee's attack, when an enemy bullet found him.
When I look at a map, it looks possible that the spot, west of the present-day school, might be under the Interstate now. Not sure.
Im sorry I cant answer your question, but there are others here who will likely know.
paging @Chattahooch33 @CheathamHill @Stiles/Akin @Podad @DR_Hanna @AndyHall

Last edited:

Aside from these:

Major battlefields lost:

Tunnel Hill (Confed)
Lay's Ferry (Federal)
Rome Crossroads (Confed)
Dallas (Federal)
New Hope Church (Confed)
Ruff's Mill (Confed)
Atlanta (Federal)
Ezra Church (Federal)
Sunshine Church (Confed)
Jonesboro (Federal)

What else is there?

I wish more had been preserved as well.

I posit that the South was so devastated both physically and economically that there was simply no resources available for preservation. If land was needed for any purpose it simply got used for that purpose forgetting the past and struggling to hold the present.

Back