The Atlanta Campaign Tour (2014)

Kennesaw Mountain
June 27, 1864

COBB COUNTY, GEORGIA

Fearing envelopment, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston withdrew his army to a new defensive position astride Kennesaw Mountain, to the north and west of Marietta. Johnston selected this position in order to protect his supply link to Atlanta, the Western & Atlantic Railroad. Prior to taking up this new line on June 19, Johnston had pioneers working through the night digging trenches and erecting fortifications, turning Kennesaw into a formidable earthen fortress. Having defeated Gen. John B. Hood troops at Kolb’s Farm on the 22nd, Union commander William T. Sherman was convinced that Johnston had stretched his line too thin and, therefore, decided on a frontal attack on the Confederate bastion. After an intense artillery bombardment, Sherman sent his troops forward at 9AM on June 27. Determined Yankee assault troops came to within yards of the Confederate trenches, but were unable to break the Southern line and by 11:30 the attack had failed. Sherman, who later dubbed the battle as "the hardest fight of the campaign up to that date," lost roughly 3,000 men in the contest, including generals Charles Harker and Daniel McCook.

DSC_0792.JPG

Why wasn't this in the photo contest bill,I would have voted for it instead of #11.

lolololol

I should have placed this photo in this month's contest instead of my photo of Appomattox Court House cannon and limber.

This photo got smoked in votes.

Bill

General Patrick R. Cleburne, CSA statue at Ringgold Gap, Georgia.

View attachment 35160

Allatoona Pass Battlefield (Deep Cut).

View attachment 35161

General W.H.T. Walker, CSA death site in Atlanta, Georgia.

View attachment 35162

Cannon battery on top of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield (Tour Stop 1).

View attachment 35163
On my group battlefield tour 3 weeks ago we drove through Ringgold Gap but did not have time to stop. I imagine I will be making my own itinerary next time I go to that area and Ringgold Gap will be on it. I saw a Cemetery when we were driving though it that had a lotta Confederate flags at graves and I wanted to stop there so bad. I had a few hours on my own the last day I was there before my flight left and I went to Chattanooga Confederate Cemetery and Chattanooga National Cemetery.

On my group battlefield tour 3 weeks ago we drove through Ringgold Gap but did not have time to stop. I imagine I will be making my own itinerary next time I go to that area and Ringgold Gap will be on it. I saw a Cemetery when we were driving though it that had a lotta Confederate flags at graves and I wanted to stop there so bad. I had a few hours on my own the last day I was there before my flight left and I went to Chattanooga Confederate Cemetery and Chattanooga National Cemetery.

Ringgold, Georgia was a neat little town. My son and I enjoyed the drive from Ringgold to Jonesboro. We both experienced Georgia hospitality as we traveled south towards the Andersonville National Historic Site. I would definitely travel these areas again. Next time, I would like to stop by the Griswoldville Battlefield just east of Macon. Oh yeah, we have to see Stone Mountain!!!

Bill

Ringgold, Georgia was a neat little town. My son and I enjoyed the drive from Ringgold to Jonesboro. We both experienced Georgia hospitality as we traveled south towards the Andersonville National Historic Site. I would definitely travel these areas again. Next time, I would like to stop by the Griswoldville Battlefield just east of Macon. Oh yeah, we have to see Stone Mountain!!!

Bill
You must stop at Stone Mountain,what a sight to see both from below and on top of the mountain.

* On September 2nd, 1864, Atlanta Mayor James Calhoun, along with a committee of Federal-leaning citizens including William Markham, Jonathan Norcross, and Edward Rawson, met a captain on the staff of Federal Major General Henry W. Slocum, and surrendered the city, asking for "protection to non-combatants and private property". Federal Major General William T. Sherman, who was in Jonesborough at the time of surrender, sent a telegram to Washington, DC on September 3rd, reading, "Atlanta is ours, and fairly won". He then established his headquarters there on September 7th, where he stayed for over two months. On November 15th, Sherman's army departed east toward Savannah, Georgia on what became known as "Sherman's March to the Sea."

* Wikipedia

IMG_20160902_065917.jpg

* Today marks the anniversary of the start to the Atlanta Campaign of 1864. This tour is definitely in my top 5 of American Civil War battlefields and sites!

Bill
The Alabama Civil War Roundtable (www.civilwaralabama.org.) is hosting a gentleman who has written a book on locating and visiting the "lost" Confederate fortifications in Atlanta. It makes for a very interesting read, his name is Dr. Lawrence Krumenaker and the book is titled Walking the Line.

The Alabama Civil War Roundtable (www.civilwaralabama.org.) is hosting a gentleman who has written a book on locating and visiting the "lost" Confederate fortifications in Atlanta. It makes for a very interesting read, his name is Dr. Lawrence Krumenaker and the book is titled Walking the Line.

I would love to attend this roundtable meeting!

This book has been placed on my book list.

Thanks,
Bill

This book is a pure gem, Marine! Thanks again for the gift. I will definitely take it with me on my next tour of the Atlanta Campaign site.

Bill

The Battle of Kolb's Farm (Kennesaw, Georgia) was fought on this day in 1864. Federal forces under Major General Joseph Hooker defeated Confederate forces under Lieutenant General John Bell Hood. Hood attempted an attack on the Federal force, but poor terrain conditions led to his failure. This battle was part of the Atlanta Campaign.

FB_IMG_1498131039772.jpg

FB_IMG_1498131046691.jpg

FB_IMG_1498131055091.jpg

The Battle of Atlanta, Georgia was fought on this day in 1864. Continuing their summer campaign to seize the important rail and supply center of Atlanta, Federal forces commanded by Major General William T. Sherman overwhelmed and defeated Confederate forces defending the city under Lt. General John B. Hood. Federal Major General James B. McPherson was killed during the battle. Despite the implication of finality in its name, the battle occurred midway through the campaign, and the city did not fall until September 2, 1864.

FB_IMG_1500722192572.jpg

On this day in 1864, Federal and Confederate troops clash at Resaca, Georgia. This was one of the first engagements in a summer-long campaign by Federal Major General William T. Sherman to capture the Confederate city of Atlanta. The spring of 1864 saw a determined effort by the Federal government to win the war through major offensives in both the eastern and western theaters. In the east, Federal Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant took on Confederate General Robert E. Lee, while Sherman applied pressure on the Army of the Tennessee, under the command of General Joseph Johnston in the west.

Simply HDR_1526293375995.jpg

Back