" The Army Has The Strangest Pets... ", Dogs, Squirrels And An Owl Named Minerva

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
knight w dog crop top.jpg
knight w dog crop bottom.jpg

Our fuzzy buddies have been following armies to war for an awfully long time. I can't source this but you just know armor clad warriors heading for Bosworth Field trailed panting companions. They hung around, the ACW a little warmed by their presence.

With thanks to @LoyaltyOfDogs , MotM , for consistently bringing us slobbery, hirsute, enchanting common ground. Article from a Wisconsin paper, 1864.

news 1864 dogs 1.JPG

news 1864 dogs.JPG

chicken.jpg

Nothing to do with the ACW, just thought chickens deserved a shout out.

Love the owl. Never thought of one as a pet.

Right? Article jogged my memory- think I've seen several owl/pet/regimental mascot stories? You know, love to hear more if anyone knows anything. No ornithologist, have an idea owls may be nice to have around. Those around here do this weird but cool thing- at first I thought it my imagination but it can't be. They seem to react to humans- no idea why. If there's one near the house, you can get it to ' reply ', when you hear the ' hoot '? If you ' hoot ' back, it'll keep going- no one can tell me that bird is fooled by a human hoot, seems to me it's interacting in some way.

Back