The Appomattox Court House National Historical Park

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
The Appomattox Court House is a National Historical Park of original and reconstructed 19th century buildings in Appomattox County, Virginia. The village is famous as the site of the Battle of Appomattox Court House and containing the house of Wilmer McLean, where the surrender of the Confederate army under General Robert E. Lee to Union commander Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant took place on April 9, 1865, effectively ending the American Civil War. The McLean House was the site of the surrender conference, but the village itself is named for the presence nearby of what is now preserved as the Old Appomattox Court House. The park was established August 3, 1935. The village was made a national monument in 1940 and a national historical park in 1954. It is located about three miles (5 km) east of Appomattox, Virginia, the location of the Appomattox Station and the "new" Appomattox Court House. It is in the center of the state about 25 miles east of Lynchburg, Virginia.

* The Appomattox Court House Historical Park Eastern Entrance on VA-24.

DSC_0376 (2).JPG

* Cannon Display near the Appomattox River.

DSC_0397 (2).JPG

* Close-Up of Caisson at Cannon Display.

DSC_0399 (2).JPG

* Confederate General Robert E. Lee's Headquarters.

DSC_0392.JPG

* The Wilmer McLean House Complex.

DSC_0406.JPG

* The McLean House and Well.

DSC_0500 (2).JPG

* The McLean House (rear), Kitchen and Slave Quarters.

DSC_0487.JPG

* The McLean House Parlor (Surrender Room).

DSC_0510 (2).JPG

* The Appomattox Court House (NPS Visitor Center & Museum).

DSC_0405 (2).JPG

* The Clover Hill Tavern (Gift Shop)

DSC_0412 (2).JPG

* The Appomattox County Jail.

DSC_0413 (2).JPG

* The Peers House.

DSC_0449 (2).JPG

* Lee-Grant Meeting Site on April-10, 1865.

DSC_0457 (2).JPG

* The Battle of Appomattox Plaque.

DSC_0527 (2).JPG

* The Confederate Cemetery (1 Federal Soldier) and Monument.

DSC_0530 (2).JPG

* The Appomattox Train Station Depot.

DSC_0587 (2).JPG

* The Appomattox Train Depot Site.

DSC_0589 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I had a trip planned for Petersburg to Appomattox in March which I cancelled due to all this. Mostly because with kids having school at home would have been a lot to put on wife. Maybe later this year!

My son and I completed this same tour in 2016.

We had a ball retracing the retreat route from the Petersburg National Battlefield to the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park.

Bill

Great pics. Still kicking myself for not visiting when I was up in Lynchburg working for 2 weeks in 12/2007. Another must visit that I have to put on my list.

Thank you!

Make sure to visit the site of the Battle of Appomattox Station battlefield which occurred on April 8, 1865.

20200409_213234.jpg

The Civil War Trails has markers at this site which explains this battle. The majority of visitors never visit this venue when they tour the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park. A NPS Ranger gave us a map and directions to this venue.

Bill

* The Battle of Appomattox Station occurred on April 8, 1865. This battle was part of the Appomattox Campaign of the American Civil War. Federal Major General George A. Custer's cavalry clashed with the reserve artillery of the Confederate Third Corps, Army of Northern Virginia, under the command of Colonel Lindsay Walker.

DSC_0590 (2).JPG

DSC_0592 (2).JPG

DSC_0593 (2).JPG

DSC_0586 (2).JPG

DSC_0563 (2).JPG

DSC_0564 (3).JPG

DSC_0565 (2).JPG

DSC_0567 (2).JPG

DSC_0570 (2).JPG

DSC_0576 (2).JPG

Back