The Appomattox Court House National Historical Park

I was just there on this very week last year. Was not my first visit

20190406_110905.jpg

On this day in 1865, one day after surrendering to Federal Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant, Confederate General Robert E. Lee addresses his army for the last time. “After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources. I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard-fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to the result from no distrust of them…I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen…I bid you an affectionate farewell.”

20200410_062546.jpg

I know that the McLean house is a reconstruction of the original, and that some of the furnishings were purchased by Grant's staff and officers as souvenirs after the surrender ceremony. My question is whether any of the current interior furnishings are original pieces or is everything a replica?

The Appomattox Court House is a National Historical Park of original and reconstructed 19th century buildings in Appomattox County, Virginia. The village is famous as the site of the Battle of Appomattox Court House and containing the house of Wilmer McLean, where the surrender of the Confederate army under General Robert E. Lee to Union commander Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant took place on April 9, 1865, effectively ending the American Civil War. The McLean House was the site of the surrender conference, but the village itself is named for the presence nearby of what is now preserved as the Old Appomattox Court House. The park was established August 3, 1935. The village was made a national monument in 1940 and a national historical park in 1954. It is located about three miles (5 km) east of Appomattox, Virginia, the location of the Appomattox Station and the "new" Appomattox Court House. It is in the center of the state about 25 miles east of Lynchburg, Virginia.

* The Appomattox Court House Historical Park Eastern Entrance on VA-24.

View attachment 354254

* Cannon Display near the Appomattox River.

View attachment 354255

* Close-Up of Caisson at Cannon Display.

View attachment 354256

* Confederate General Robert E. Lee's Headquarters.

View attachment 354257

* The Wilmer McLean House Complex.

View attachment 354258

* The McLean House and Well.

View attachment 354259

* The McLean House (rear), Kitchen and Slave Quarters.

View attachment 354260

* The McLean House Parlor (Surrender Room).

View attachment 354261

* The Appomattox Court House (NPS Visitor Center & Museum).

View attachment 354262

* The Clover Hill Tavern (Gift Shop)

View attachment 354263

* The Appomattox County Jail.

View attachment 354264

* The Peers House.

View attachment 354265

* Lee-Grant Meeting Site on April-10, 1865.

View attachment 354266

* The Battle of Appomattox Plaque.

View attachment 354267

* The Confederate Cemetery (1 Federal Soldier) and Monument.

View attachment 354268

* The Appomattox Train Station Depot.

View attachment 354269

* The Appomattox Train Depot Site.

View attachment 354270
Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing

Back