The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site is a National Historic Site in Greeneville, Tennessee, maintained by the National Park Service. It was established to honor Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the United States, who became president after Abraham Lincoln's death. The site includes two of Johnson's homes, his tailor shop, and his grave site within the Andrew Johnson National Cemetery.

The cemetery also includes the interments of Johnson's wife, Eliza McCardle Johnson, and son Brigadier General Robert Johnson. David T. Patterson, a United States Senator from Tennessee, and his son Andrew J. Patterson, who was instrumental in securing historic designation for the Greeneville properties associated with Andrew Johnson, were among others buried in the cemetery. The site was authorized by Congress as a U.S. National Monument in 1935, established on April 27, 1942, and rededicated a National Historic Site on December 11, 1963. (Wikipedia) @KLSDAD

* The Andrew Johnson Statue in Greenville, Tennessee.

DSC_0024.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site Visitor Center.

DSC_0014.JPG

* The Andrew John's Tailor Shop (Interior of Visitor Center).

DSC_0018.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson's Replica Birthplace Home in Raleigh, North Carolina (Across from the Visitor Center).

DSC_0085.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson's Early Home in Greeneville, Tennessee.

DSC_0011.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson Homestead.

DSC_0043.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson Homestead Rear Entrance and Patio Area (Bedrooms).

DSC_0064.JPG

* Andrew Johnson's Bedroom/Office.

DSC_0045.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson Homestead Parlor.

DSC_0047.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson National Cemetery (Entrance).

DSC_0111.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson Gravesite and Family Plot.

DSC_0095.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson Grave.

DSC_0103.JPG

* The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site is a National Historic Site in Greeneville, Tennessee, maintained by the National Park Service. It was established to honor Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the United States, who became president after Abraham Lincoln's death. The site includes two of Johnson's homes, his tailor shop, and his grave site within the Andrew Johnson National Cemetery.

The cemetery also includes the interments of Johnson's wife, Eliza McCardle Johnson, and son Brigadier General Robert Johnson. David T. Patterson, a United States Senator from Tennessee, and his son Andrew J. Patterson, who was instrumental in securing historic designation for the Greeneville properties associated with Andrew Johnson, were among others buried in the cemetery. The site was authorized by Congress as a U.S. National Monument in 1935, established on April 27, 1942, and rededicated a National Historic Site on December 11, 1963. (Wikipedia) @KLSDAD

* The Andrew Johnson Statue in Greenville, Tennessee.

View attachment 208628

* The Andrew Johnson National Historic Site Visitor Center.

View attachment 208629

* The Andrew John's Tailor Shop (Interior of Visitor Center).

View attachment 208630

* The Andrew Johnson's Replica Birthplace Home in Raleigh, North Carolina (Across from the Visitor Center).

View attachment 208631

* The Andrew Johnson's Early Home in Greeneville, Tennessee.

View attachment 208632

* The Andrew Johnson Homestead.

View attachment 208633

* The Andrew Johnson Homestead Rear Entrance and Patio Area (Bedrooms).

View attachment 208634

* Andrew Johnson's Bedroom/Office.

View attachment 208635

* The Andrew Johnson Homestead Parlor.

View attachment 208638

* The Andrew Johnson National Cemetery (Entrance).

View attachment 208639

* The Andrew Johnson Gravesite and Family Plot.

View attachment 208640

* The Andrew Johnson Grave.

View attachment 208641
Thanks for the photo essay bill,never heard of this place before.

Bill and I left a few things for the next visit to Greeneville including a tour inside the the Dickson-Williams Mansion a few blocks away.

The only tour, at least this time of year, is at 1pm.

We went to Greeneville this past weekend. Visited this Center. Really enjoyed the tour and the short film they had at the Visitor's Center. We were there with the Morgan Men's Association for the 155th anniversary of General John Hunt Morgan's death.

The group always visits sites in the area where we meet.

Last edited:
I visited here nearly thirty years ago in the summer of 1991 while I was working across the mountains around Asheville, N.C. on Last of the Mohicans. On weekends off I would strike out in various directions, visiting historical sites within driving distance. On this particular excursion, I also managed Davy Crockett's birthplace and the site where the Overmountain Men under John Sevier had gathered at Sycamore Shoals prior to their march to the battle at King's Mountain, S.C. in 1780. Unfortunately, the few photos I took with my Kodak DISC camera are very poor and few in number, so it's good to see yours!

In the short film learned that Andrew Johnson came to Greeneville as a teenager. He became a tailor and ran his shop for several years. He also held every political position you could from town alderman to U.S. President.

In the short film learned that Andrew Johnson came to Greeneville as a teenager. He became a tailor and ran his shop for several years. He also held every political position you could from town alderman to U.S. President.

My main focus to visit Greeneville was to photograph the mansion where John Hunt Morgan was killed. But visiting the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site was a pleasant surprise!

Bill

My favorite fact about Johnson is that although successful as a tailor he remained illiterate until being taught to read in his twenties by his wife! It's been years since I watched it on late-nite TV, but as I remember the 1950's biopic Tennessee Johnson starring Van Heflin wasn't bad.

Back