The Alamo (2004)

yankee hoorah

First Sergeant
This movie was very powerful. I understand that it had nothing to do with
the Civil War, but the commander of The Alamo was a Souh Carolinian William B Travis.
He was killed by a ball to the head. If you have seen this movie please reply.

It's a pretty good movie. There are some historical quibbles with it, but it beats most of the existing Alamo films as far as entertainment value. We have some existing threads on it, I believe.

This movie was very powerful. I understand that it had nothing to do with
the Civil War, but the commander of The Alamo was a Souh Carolinian William B Travis.
He was killed by a ball to the head. If you have seen this movie please reply.
I think this forum is for books and movies related to the American Civil War.

I've seen the one John Wayne did and the one with Billy Bob Thornton and liked both of them Too bad ol' Davy misfigured the windage when he shot that thing-a-ma-jig off Santa Anna's shoulder. It might have been a different ending if he had figured it right. :wink:

It possibly is but some forums are about books/movies that don't pertain to the "war bettween the states."
I decided to give it a go Chellers.

Mny myths were told about the Alamo that was one. The olther version goes that Micajah Autrie fired that shot and not
Col. Crockett.

Definitely my favorite Alamo movie, seen it many times. I grew up watching the John Wayne movie but after learning the facts I always wanted a more historically accurate version and this was it!

How does it?

Well, let's play six degrees of separation.....which we won't even need, because:

Sam Houston is governor during the Secession vote and resigns because he's a Unionist and can't go against his country (reverse R.E. Lee philosophy)...and anyway, he's already predicted the Confederates will lose. (Lesson #1--don't argue with Sam)

Bowie is a slave smuggler. :smile: Slavery is an issue in the Texas Revolution, although not quite as much of one as some people think. This really IS about representation. :smile:

Ben McCulloch (yeah, you guys knew I'd bring HIM up!).....goes to Texas to support Crockett in the Alamo, gets measles (he's only 16) and thankfully misses THAT battle; mans one of the Twin Sisters at San Jacinto; fights in the Mexican War, saves Davis' bacon through some excellent hair-raising scouting--and earns Davis' contempt as a Texian ruffian; leads the Confederate forces in taking San Antonio from Twiggs (not a terribly difficult situation, but he didn't know that coming in :smile:); and of course, there's his frustrating career as a general in the Trans-Miss.....but we know about that.....

Ah...the South Carolina connection--Travis, Fannin :smile:nah disagree:smile:, Bonham.......and Wigfall:devil: Need I say more? (I have to admit, Edward Burleson was from South Carolina, too, and I claim kinship with him).

Without the Revolution, you don't have the Mexican War, Manifest Destiny (quite as successfully, anyhow) and western Expansion of the Cotton States, and the resulting compromises that ultimately end up in Civil War.

Quite a load to lay at the feet of Father Hidalgo and Moses Austin, ain't it?

Back