Before the Civil War the Alabama State Artillery Company was a fairly large company of 155 men armed with four bronze six-pound field pieces. In early 1857 they obtained "Continental uniforms" and there after were known as the "Continentals". They reportedly wore dark blue Continental style uniforms with red trim, cocked hats with red-white-and blue plumes. The also wore "Hessian" boots. In May of 1859 they obtained new fatigue uniforms of "army blue jackets with scarlet collars and cuffs". and caps made of the same material of the same pattern as worn by the army. In May of 1861 when they left for Pensacola they wore a service uniform of indigo blue, trimmed with red, and brown gaiters.