1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

The ACW continues right here, everyday

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by pfcjking, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfcjking

pfcjking Sergeant Major

It is really something to behold.... The extreme differences in opinions about the ACW.

It is almost impossible to have any type of discussion on this sight about things that we all obviously are passionate about without dragging the baggage of our own personal opinions into the conversation.

It's sad. I suppose it's unavoidable. Obviously there are more than a few people here who relish in the constant back & forth.

Some people act as if they are ready to pick up a musket and start all over again.

KeithA, 58th Virginia, PeterT and 5 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

Too often, this is the case here.

4. Greywolf

Greywolf Private

A few folks on here certainly believe they are always right about everything they post, which is impossible. I bet they believe they have never been wrong about anything in their entire life. That said I do enjoy differing points of view and think everyone has something of value to contribute.

KeithA, 58th Virginia, uaskme and 3 others like this.
  5. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Why is it sad? Refighing the Civil War is a salient feature of all sites like this one. People feel strongly about their points of view on all sides of the Civil War. By it's very nature, a civil war will engender strong feelings. Harmless, verbal combat 150 years after the fact, with no casualties, is not sad IMHO.

6. pfcjking

pfcjking Sergeant Major

It's sad that people feel so hellbent on provoking and being provoked. Discussing facts and interpretations shouldn't be akin to a cable news panel.

I guess that's my opinion.

7. 1SGDan

1SGDan Captain

As long as people make ridiculous and unsupported claims about the superiority of one side or another the battle will continue.

8. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Welcome to 21st century America. It's one giant argument.

9. Pat Young

Pat Young Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Featured Book Reviewer

I stay away from the hot button threads for the most part. I indulge no more than once a month in a thread that embodies the age-old battles. They rarely contain information I have not read before. If you skip them, you will have time to read the 90% of threads that offer real information and informed viewpoints. You won't get insulted on them, nor will you wake up the next morning hating yourself for what you did on the forum the night before.

Folks bemoan the dark threads here, but those are the ones many of the same people are most drawn to.

jgoodguy, Waterloo50, MaryDee and 7 others like this.
  10. pfcjking

pfcjking Sergeant Major

There have been times that I walked away for 6 months or so, just tired of seeing arguments about black confederates and what not. It's history. It's static. It does not change. The facts are what they are. Feelings and interpretations are allowed to be different, certainly, but knowing that everyone else can differ in those feelings and interpretations... thats the key.

Facts are what they are. Opinions.... we know what they say about those.

11. contestedground

contestedground Sergeant

The key word here is "act."

Lots of posturing, lots about "us" and "we," and a lot of confirmation bias and reaffirmation. Some threads are very predictable, and you don't need a scorecard to tell the players.

12. Pat Young

Pat Young Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Featured Book Reviewer

If you avoid those threads, you will not have to walk away.

I always think of this cartoon when I see the flame war threads here:

wrong.JPG

13. 1950lemans

1950lemans Sergeant

Isn't history about making a judgement call on past events? Provided you stick to the facts a judgement can come from an opinion. A lot of the past is "fuzzy" and that's why it can become contentious. You even need to "judge" how well the historian organized the lump sum of past data into something worthwhile.

leftyhunter and Waterloo50 like this.
  14. John Winn

John Winn Captain

I, too, have come to just ignore certain types of threads and even a few members as I don't care for argument and so many of the thread subjects I ignore have been ground into the dust repeatedly there's just nothing to learn. There's a modest number I like to call the 'Sisyphus Brigade' who feel compelled to argue with each new uttering of certain assertions on the grounds that if they don't their silence will somehow allow new seekers to be led astray and they might be thought to agree with the transgressors who postulated said assertions. I think maybe they sell newbies short but I'm happy to let them spend their time bickering if it gives them a purpose. There's even a few members who seem to only participate in threads where argument is the key element - even creating new ones sometimes to draw folks in. Those folks I just (manually) ignore also even though several are quite knowledgeable; I just don't need bar fights and am turned off by the "type".

So, staying away from certain threads and members will reduce one's activity space but makes for a much better experience and, as has been noted, allows one to spend more time on informative, entertaining, and fun threads and to interact and share with all the really great folks who are members here. If others want to fight the war over or just argue then I suppose they're getting their fix and I'm happy to give them space to get it. I'll be elsewhere.

15. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

The war does not continue.

No blood is drawn, no one dies from musket fire, no limbs are shattered. The fighting is long over the war decided.

It's just that some of us become so much smarter, braver, and confident when we sit behind a keyboard and no price is paid from firing an opinion across someone's cherished beliefs.

What is past is past. None of us here on this forum can change that.

So why do we debate back and forth, over and over again, covering the same topics, the same disagreements, with the same sources and documents endlessly repeated once again?

Because we have absolutely nothing else better to do.

We could be working at a local soup kitchen or at an animal rescue center or head up a gril or boy scout troop. We could help out at our local schools as a mentor or even bake cookies for the local volunteer fire department.

But where's the fun in that
    ?

We are all here because we want to be here and that's the embarrassing truth of the matter and because we have nothing better to do with our time when we sit down behind our keyboards.

Admit it.

You LIKE being here.

Seriously,
    Unionblue

16. KansasFreestater

KansasFreestater 1st Lieutenant

Due west of the Free State stronghold of Lawrence
    Once a thread descends into a pis$ing match, i.e., a tedious, repetitive display of one-upmanship and ad hominem attacks, I get bored and go elsewhere. One time, I made the mistake of intervening, to try to get the participants to stop, and I had as much luck as someone trying to stop a cockfight. I haven't tried that again since then. Learned my lesson the hard way!

17. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

I dislike it when people become arrogant and condescending. I dislike it when someone implies that their opinion is the only valid opinion. I give opinions about people and events frequently, and I am careful to express them as personal opinions. In addition, I usually add that I don't expect everyone to agree with me. In spite of that, I've received some real snooty lectures from some high horses. Apart from disliking that sort of thing, I usually get along pretty well out here.

KeithA, 58th Virginia, KLSDAD and 6 others like this.
  18. ikesdad

ikesdad Private

This place is tame compared with others out there. I pay no attention to the negative here.

19. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Major Silver Patron

Spot on, even those that go direct to source apply their own interpretation of evidence, problems arise when the individual believes that their interpretation is the only correct one and that their method of research is infallible. I have always thought that the point of a forum like CWT is to discuss those events and to explore other interpretations and ideas. If people are open to other ways of thinking then they don't need to be defensive or offensive. I believe that the secret to positive discourse is to listen to other points of view and explore them. I'm of the opinion that if an individual feels the need to be condescending or patronising then they have lost the debate. That's just my opinion though.

20. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

You are one of the trusted standards here, as far as I am concerned!

21. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

Very wise, my friend! Thank you.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.