The 9th Mississippi Infantry

"Encampment of Louisville Blues, Captain Bludworth, 1st Alabama Regiment, Near Light House, Pensacola, Florida, April 1861." Looks like the two guys seated are arm wrestling!

Expired Image Removed
http://collection.chrysler.org/emus...ate:flow=34f8f8fa-fe6b-45bb-9017-c29273e15a46
One of my ancestors was in the 1st Alabama Infantry. He's a but unknown to me, as I only discovered him a couple years back. His name was Wesley Taylor, I think. (I don't have my notes handy)
He surrendered 3 times during the war if I recall correctly. Island No. 10, Port Hudson, and then Bentonville. He was also AWOL a few times from what I saw on Fold3. According to cencus records I found, he apparently fathered a couple kids during the war at a time when most fellas were on duty somewhere. Thanks for posting these pics.

One of my ancestors was in the 1st Alabama Infantry. He's a but unknown to me, as I only discovered him a couple years back. His name was Wesley Taylor, I think. (I don't have my notes handy)
He surrendered 3 times during the war if I recall correctly. Island No. 10, Port Hudson, and then Bentonville. He was also AWOL a few times from what I saw on Fold3. According to cencus records I found, he apparently fathered a couple kids during the war at a time when most fellas were on duty somewhere. Thanks for posting these pics.
There were a couple more of 1st Alabama Infantry posted here but the links have since went down. Though I did manage to find one of them again, also purportedly of the Louisville Blues. Make sure to click an zoom in. :wink:

Expired Image Removed

Last edited:
I saw a photo of a soldier from the 1st Alabama Infantry a while back, and he was holding a M1819 Hall Breechloader. I thought that to be neato, as the gun has always interested me. I was very happy to know my ancestor served at Pensacola, since I camped at Fort Pickens every summer as a kid, and know Santa Rosa Island as well as Fort Barrancas like the back of my hand.

Reactions: AUG
This early war picture of a giant regiment, probably yet to see the pestilence of camp life, reminds me to the old anecdote about the AoP veterans in their shattered remnants of brigades during the Overland Campaign, when they saw the Washington garrison regiments 1,200 strong, known as "the Heavies" because until now they had served in the safe and quiet heavy artillery units that manned the defenses of Washington. When these massive regiments, 1,200 to 1,800 strong, filed past the 150 man tatered & bloodied little regiments, the veterans would say "What division is this?"
confederate7.jpg

This early war picture of a giant regiment, probably yet to see the pestilence of camp life, reminds me to the old anecdote about the AoP veterans in their shattered remnants of brigades during the Overland Campaign, when they saw the Washington garrison regiments 1,200 strong, known as "the Heavies" because until now they had served in the safe and quiet heavy artillery units that manned the defenses of Washington. When these massive regiments, 1,200 to 1,800 strong, filed past the 150 man tatered & bloodied little regiments, the veterans would say "What division is this?"
Followed by the taunts of "paper collar" or "band box soldiers," "Abe's pets," etc. I believe some of the large Georgia regiments that joined the AoT at Dalton in early '64, who had spent most of the war garrisoned on the East coast until then, were greeted in a similar manner by the grizzled veterans of the AoT. If that is the 9th or 10th Mississippi then some of the men in that photo were probably among those veterans.... makes me wonder how many made it that far.

Thanks for the bump on this thread. Hadn't seen many of these images before. Just when you think you've seen everything there is to be seen from 1861-65...boom some other great stuff always pops up.

Thanks for the bump on this thread. Hadn't seen many of these images before. Just when you think you've seen everything there is to be seen from 1861-65...boom some other great stuff always pops up.
None of us have seen it all. Individually, we know little. Collectively, we know everything. That is why we must continue to share and discuss.

Thanks for all the further information; it's interesting to see what later happened to these men.

Here's another image, supposedly of Co. K, 10th Mississippi Infantry, from the article on Champion Hilz' blog linked above. However, there is one guy in there wearing what looks like a battle shirt with a #4 on it....

View attachment 259812
Photo of the Port Gibson Riflemen, Company K, 10th Mississippi Infantry, at Pensacola, Florida, in 1861. The image was taken by New Orleans photographer J. D. Edwards. Florida Photographic Collection, Florida State Archives

Edit: here's a better version of this photo, courtesy of Chubacus's blog:
View attachment 259813
http://chubachus.blogspot.com/2015/01/confederate-soldiers-of-9th-mississippi.html
But is the photo of men in the 9th or 10th Mississippi Infantry?

View attachment 259808
Men from the 9th Mississippi Infantry photographed by J.D. Edwards at the Warrington Navy Yard, Pensacola, FL in 1861. (http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2013651850/)

From the left the men are said to be: James Pegues, Kinloch Falconer, John Fennel, James Cunningham, Thomas W. Falconer, James Simms, and John T. Smith.

Both the 9th and 10th Mississippi Infantry were sent to Pensacola in April, 1861, where they were organized and mustered into service. They were there until early 1862, when they were then sent back west, joining forces under Gen. A. S. Johnston and seeing action at Shiloh. The 9th and 10th Mississippi would serve in the Army of Tennessee throughout the rest of the war, in what was known as the "High Pressure Brigade."

Here's the link to a history of the 9th Mississippi's service:
http://web.archive.org/web/20111005045116/http://mississippiscv.org/MS_Units/9th_MS_INF.htm
Getting back to the first picture posted in this thread...Has anybody figured out what muskets they are holding? At first glance I thought they were 1841 Mississippi's, considering the length, 2 bands, and the sabre bayonet the tall fellow in the middle has on his hip. But the barrel bands and the brass cap at the front aren't correct. The barrel bands are held in place by retainer springs...so they aren't 1858 Enfields either, nor would they have any by April of 1861. Its not an 1842 Springfield either based on the hardware. My best guess is the 2-band version of the 1855 Springfield...the hardware seems consistent, and I think I can make out the hump of the Maynard primer gizmo (left soldier). What do you folks think it is?
Springfield 1855 2 band.png

Last edited:
My GGGrandfather Charles Thomas Barnes was in the 9th Mississippi.
His brother John Barnes was also in the 9th. He died while a prisoner in Nashville. I was wondering if anyone has any info on John? I have a copy of a letter his mother got some lawyer to write since she couldn’t read and write. She signed it by making her mark with an X. The letter was sent to the prison asking for his belongings.
Thanks for any help.

My GGGrandfather Charles Thomas Barnes was in the 9th Mississippi.
His brother John Barnes was also in the 9th. He died while a prisoner in Nashville. I was wondering if anyone has any info on John? I have a copy of a letter his mother got some lawyer to write since she couldn’t read and write. She signed it by making her mark with an X. The letter was sent to the prison asking for his belongings.
Thanks for any help.
The 7th & 9th Mississippi merged to form one of the last regiments of the Army of Tennessee's "High Pressure Brigade" .
These two Regiments started the War together, and ended the War together.

I'll see what I can find about your GGG Uncle John Barnes .

His brother John Barnes was also in the 9th. He died while a prisoner in Nashville. I was wondering if anyone has any info on John? I
Thanks for any help.
Here ya go .... he was captured at the Battle of Missionary Ridge, and died in Nashville.

I found many records about your GGG Uncle :

Attachments

• Barnes, John H.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I did not know this. Great to know.
They were some pretty tough guys.

The "High Pressure Brigade" consisted primarily of the 7th, 9th, 10th, 41st, & 44th Mississippi Infantry Regiments, The 9th Battalion Mississippi Sharpshooters and Garrity's Alabama Artillery.

They earned that name after their gallant performance at Shiloh.
The guys maintained their reputation until the end.

Be proud of the fact your relatives were part of the " High Pressure Brigade".

I hate to keep asking for stuff, but I saw on one of Charles Thomas Barnes’ pension forms that he was wounded in the face. Any idea where he got wounded?

Back