The 9th Mississippi Infantry

pfcjking

Sergeant Major
"Encampment of Louisville Blues, Captain Bludworth, 1st Alabama Regiment, Near Light House, Pensacola, Florida, April 1861." Looks like the two guys seated are arm wrestling!

Expired Image Removed
http://collection.chrysler.org/emus...ate:flow=34f8f8fa-fe6b-45bb-9017-c29273e15a46
One of my ancestors was in the 1st Alabama Infantry. He's a but unknown to me, as I only discovered him a couple years back. His name was Wesley Taylor, I think. (I don't have my notes handy)
He surrendered 3 times during the war if I recall correctly. Island No. 10, Port Hudson, and then Bentonville. He was also AWOL a few times from what I saw on Fold3. According to cencus records I found, he apparently fathered a couple kids during the war at a time when most fellas were on duty somewhere. Thanks for posting these pics.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

AUG

Brigadier General
Forum Host
One of my ancestors was in the 1st Alabama Infantry. He's a but unknown to me, as I only discovered him a couple years back. His name was Wesley Taylor, I think. (I don't have my notes handy)
He surrendered 3 times during the war if I recall correctly. Island No. 10, Port Hudson, and then Bentonville. He was also AWOL a few times from what I saw on Fold3. According to cencus records I found, he apparently fathered a couple kids during the war at a time when most fellas were on duty somewhere. Thanks for posting these pics.
There were a couple more of 1st Alabama Infantry posted here but the links have since went down. Though I did manage to find one of them again, also purportedly of the Louisville Blues. Make sure to click an zoom in. :wink:

Expired Image Removed

Last edited:

pfcjking

Sergeant Major
I saw a photo of a soldier from the 1st Alabama Infantry a while back, and he was holding a M1819 Hall Breechloader. I thought that to be neato, as the gun has always interested me. I was very happy to know my ancestor served at Pensacola, since I camped at Fort Pickens every summer as a kid, and know Santa Rosa Island as well as Fort Barrancas like the back of my hand.

pfcjking

Sergeant Major
This early war picture of a giant regiment, probably yet to see the pestilence of camp life, reminds me to the old anecdote about the AoP veterans in their shattered remnants of brigades during the Overland Campaign, when they saw the Washington garrison regiments 1,200 strong, known as "the Heavies" because until now they had served in the safe and quiet heavy artillery units that manned the defenses of Washington. When these massive regiments, 1,200 to 1,800 strong, filed past the 150 man tatered & bloodied little regiments, the veterans would say "What division is this?"
confederate7.jpg

Attachments

AUG

Brigadier General
Forum Host
This early war picture of a giant regiment, probably yet to see the pestilence of camp life, reminds me to the old anecdote about the AoP veterans in their shattered remnants of brigades during the Overland Campaign, when they saw the Washington garrison regiments 1,200 strong, known as "the Heavies" because until now they had served in the safe and quiet heavy artillery units that manned the defenses of Washington. When these massive regiments, 1,200 to 1,800 strong, filed past the 150 man tatered & bloodied little regiments, the veterans would say "What division is this?"
confederate7.jpg
Fallowed by the taunts of "paper collar" or "band box soldiers," "Abe's pets," etc. I believe some of the large Georgia regiments that joined the AoT at Dalton in early '64, who had spent most of the war garrisoned on the East coast until then, were greeted in a similar manner by the grizzled veterans of the AoT. If that is the 9th or 10th Mississippi then some of the men in that photo were probably among those veterans.... makes me wonder how many made it that far.

Attachments

pfcjking

Sergeant Major
Thanks for the bump on this thread. Hadn't seen many of these images before. Just when you think you've seen everything there is to be seen from 1861-65...boom some other great stuff always pops up.
None of us have seen it all. Individually, we know little. Collectively, we know everything. That is why we must continue to share and discuss.