The 69th PA Meet Pickett's Division at the Wall and Shake Hands-T&N Photo

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
The 69th PAV defended the wall in front of the Copse of Trees during the fighting there on July 2 and during Pickett's Charge on the 3rd. Many veterans of the unit returned to Gettysburg in 1887 when their obelisk shaped monument was dedicated at the wall. In the spirit of unity, they invited members of Pickett's Division including General Pickett's widow, Sally to attend the reunion. In this amazing photograph, the veterans are shaking hands across the wall right where they were fought each other just 24 years previously. Notice in the left rear are the tents for their encampment located where the Regulars Monument now stands. My now photo is just one I happened to have that is a similar view, not a perfect match.
Vets wall combo.jpg

The 69th PAV defended the wall in front of the Copse of Trees during the fighting there on July 2 and during Pickett's Charge on the 3rd. Many veterans of the unit returned to Gettysburg in 1887 when their obelisk shaped monument was dedicated at the wall. In the spirit of unity, they invited members of Pickett's Division including General Pickett's widow, Sally to attend the reunion. In this amazing photograph, the veterans are shaking hands across the wall right where they were fought each other just 24 years previously. Notice in the left rear are the tents for their encampment located where the Regulars Monument now stands. My now photo is just one I happened to have that is a similar view, not a perfect match.
View attachment 358156

Fantastic post.

View attachment 358156
Love the front Reb that stands on the Wall and the second pair NOT shaking hands

They suffered heavy losses from July 2nd to July 3rd. 143 causalities out of 268 men in the regiment. Was not aware that they were originally a regiment from California along with the other regiments in the Philadelphia Brigade they were a part of.

They suffered heavy losses from July 2nd to July 3rd. 143 causalities out of 268 men in the regiment. Was not aware that they were originally a regiment from California along with the other regiments in the Philadelphia Brigade they were a part of.

They were financed by California and raised by then-Senator Edward Baker but were recruited in Philadelphia, as were all of the "California" Brigade. After Baker's death at Ball's Bluff, the regiments generally referred to themselves by their Pennsylvania designations.

Ryan

View attachment 358156
Great pictures . Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 358156
Does anyone know the height of the wall during the battle?

Back