The 40-acre officers

R

rhterry

I'm researching my great grandfather's Civil War service. John Darling Terry, a MOH recipient for an action at age 16 in battle of Newbern, lost a leg and was discharged as an invalid in 1863. He then received a commission as RQM/1st Lt. in the 1st NCCV under General Wild. After having the peg leg shot out from underneath him at the battle of Olustee he was promoted Captain in the 104 USCT only to serve as Adjutant at Freemen Bureau in SC under Saxton.

Saxton's staff delayed returning the 40-acre land grants when Johnson executed the amnesty stating the land grants they made in SC, Florida, and Georgia were made under a military order issued in January 1865 by General Sherman. After Johnson had the commissioner of the Bureau issue Circulars clarifying things they delayed again finding inconsistencies in the circulars.

All their delays would eventually allow a small percent of the land grants to be held onto but the officers like Saxton, Wild (in Georgia under Saxton), and Terry all suffered hardships for what they did. Terry was demoted, for missing a leg, which last year the Army reviewed the case and re-instated his rank.

My request is, does anyone know if the other officers ever receive back what they lost?

Back