The 3rd Wisconsin in the Cornfield

Andy Cardinal

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
goodhue_01.jpg

W. F. Goodhue​

"While the artillery is exchanging compliments there came a prelude to more bloody work. Ready for the fray! is the word. All non-combatants and everything of hindrance is at once discarded. It is a moment of intense anxiety among our boys who await the command to battle ; to look at their faces tells a story of its own. Some are pale and apparently well aware of the situation. A few are eating hardtack, while one may be seen smoking. One hour later this poor boy was terribly mangled by a cannon ball. See that blonde boy near the colors, kneeling on one knee and writing in his diary; something to loved ones afar, doubtless, should he fall in the fateful cornfield just in our front. The same right arm there performed its last work, being amputated shortly after.

"How can you distinguish personal bravery among these young men. Their presence upon that exact spot is alone an indication of courage. No man would stand for a moment as they stood only to be wholly dutiful and brave. Army correspondents said in their dispatches that "the troops were eager for a fight." Do you see any eagerness for battle among these men? Do you see hilarity or bombast among them? If ever human countenances depicted determination, although silent, it is here shown in the faces of these soldiers, standing upon the threshold of one of the most sanguinary battles in the annals of war. One of the men, who had been looking intently at the cornfield, bringing himself to "attention" quietly said: "boys, here they come!" At this instant there are bursting volleys of musketry on the left, followed by long rattling rolls of musketry from the extended lines of troops. Further yet to the left there is seen a ribbon-like continuation of sounds similar to the flutter of a flag in the breeze. The fire of the enemy mingles with our own, and the roar of musketry is incessant. Heavy and successive discharges of artillery are almost deafening. Amid this din we could faintly hear the command: 'Attention !' which we quickly obeyed. The fog was now vanishing, but the smoke coming from the artillery hung heavily over the fields, and as the sunlight pierced it, the grayish tints disappeared, and there was left a blue sulphurous tinge, the incarnate color of battle.

"Our attention was now drawn !o the cornfield in which we saw several conical shapes dancing above the tasseled stalks. Eagerly we watched them as they came, when, suddenly, as if by magic, the corn disappeared, and a long line of confederate gray covered our entire front! The conical forms we saw in the cornfield, were the tops of confederate battle-flags, now plainly seen, scarcely a hundred yards away. Amid the deafening roar about us, 1 heard a voice behind me shouting: "Ready! Aim! Fire!" and the crash of our guns was like a blow on an anvil, nearly four hundred guns were discharged upon the instant, cutting down men in great numbers in the advancing line. Mansfield's and Jackson's corps, for the third time, during the summer were again in deadly antagonism. Before the enemy's fire, twenty-seven of the Third Wisconsin Infantry fell dead. One hundred and seventy-one were borne from the field wounded,—-the blood of sixty per cent being that terrible day spilled upon the soil of Maryland."

From "The Morning of Antietam" by W. F. Goodhue, found at https://3rdwisconsin.com/the-morning-of-antietam/

map_attack_seq_3.gif

Last edited:
Just seeing this. I’ve lived in Wisconsin for more than 60 years, including a year in Delavan, but I didn’t know about the Muster Tree. Will have to look for it the next time we pass that way. Thanks for the post.

Just seeing this. I’ve lived in Wisconsin for more than 60 years, including a year in Delavan, but I didn’t know about the Muster Tree. Will have to look for it the next time we pass that way. Thanks for the post.
I didn't know about it either. Someone from the historical society posted an article about it. Richmond IL used to have one but it was struck by lightening.

Back