The 3rd Iowa Infantry at Shiloh

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
The 3rd​ Iowa was part of the 3rd​ Brigade of of General Stephen Hurlburt’s 4th​ Division of the Army of the Tennessee under the command of Major William Stone. The regiment was ordered to Pittsiburg Landing, arriving on March 28 aboard the steamboat Iatan. They were encamped in Stacy Field, where on Sunday morning, April 6 the sound of battle caused the regiment to fall in.

Armed with .69 caliber buck and ball muskets the 3rd​ found itself positioned at the South end of Sarah Bell’s Cottonfield till about 2 pm when the occupied the far left end in the Federal “Sunken Road” position. They were driven back to a position in Southern end of Stacy Field which they held till driven back to Grant’s Last Line at the end of the 1st​ day’s fighting. This regiment was in action on Monday for but a short time.*

Statics
Present for Duty 560
KIA 23
WIA 134
MIA 30
Total Casualties 187
Loss Percentage of 33%^

Regards
David

*Source

"Shiloh" as seen by a private soldier.
CALIFORNIA COMMANDERYOF THE
MILITARY ORDER
OF THE LOYAL LEGION LEGION OF THE UNITED STATES
by Warren Olney
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t8pc2tz83&view=1up&seq=7

^The Battle of Shiloh and the Organizations Engaged
By David Reed
https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=utk_utpress
Page 93

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I remember seeing a Iowa monument during the muster, was that the line of the unit?

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Richard the 3rd Iowa's Monument is located about 150 yards South of the Sunken Road and between the Peach Orchard and Davis Wheatfield to the West.
Regards
David

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
DSC06072.JPG

I remember seeing a Iowa monument during the muster, was that the line of the unit?
I believe you are thinking of the State Memorial not a unit marker.
The beautiful Iowa State Monument above stands on Grant's Last Line; individual regimental markers are like the one below at the Sunken Road looking across Duncan Field.

DSC06090.JPG

Ole Miss

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
The leadership structure of the 3rd Iowa was changed for the Battle of Shiloh as the commanding officer, Colonel Nelson Grosvenor, became the 1st Brigade commander and Major William A. Stone assumed command of the regiment. Major Stone was captured and Captain Matthew M. Trumbull assumed command.
Regards
David

Report of Capt. Matthew M.. Trumbull, Third Iowa Infantry.
Headquarters Third Iowa Infantry,
April 17, 1862.
Sir : I have the honor to report the part taken by the Third Iowa Infantry in the action of the 6th and 7th instant.
The Third Iowa occupied the extreme right of the Fourth Division, being the first regiment of Col. and Actg. Brig. Gen. N. G. Williams brigade, and was posted during a greater portion of Sunday at the fence near the cotton field. The enemy repeatedly threw large bodies of infantry against us, but never with success. He was repulsed every time, and with great slaughter. The regiment was also subjected to a storm of grape, canister, and shell, which lasted several hours. The Third Iowa maintained its ground until evening and did not then give way until the troops on their right and left had been broken and we were entirely outflanked and almost surrounded. The regiment was then compelled in a great measure to cut its way out.
Of the firmness, coolness, and courage of the men under a heavy fire it will be unnecessary for me to speak, as they were almost constantly during the battle under the immediate eye of the general commanding the division.
The regiment went into battle on the second day under the command of First Lieut. G. W. Crosley, of Company E, and, as I am well assured, nobly maintained the honor of the flag.
Should I designate meritorious officers I should have to name nearly every officer in the regiment. I think, however, none will feel envious if I specially mention Lieutenant Crosley.
I desire to call the attention of the general commanding the division to the gallantry and good conduct of Sergt. James Lakin, of Company F, who carried the colors on the first day, and of Corp. Anderson Edwards, of Company I, who carried the colors on the second day, of the battle.
Our loss is heavy. I herewith inclose a list of our killed, wounded, and missing.
I have the honor to remain, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
M. M. TRUMBULL,
Captain, Third Iowa Infantry, Commanding Regiment.
Brig. Gen. Stephen A. Hurlbut, U. S. A.,
Commanding Fourth Division, Army of the Tennessee.

Official Records of the Rebellion
Series 1, Volume X, Part 1
Page 219