The 28th Georgia 123rd NY Infantry

Sadly, the only “movie star” I’ve met was at a Revolutionary War re-enactment we hold every other year at the plantation.
One of the Generals came in and I was helping him get his location for set ups, etc. and later on he shared he was the one in the Patriot who taught Mel Gibson how to handle a sword/knife and he taught the “Lafayette” character to ride a horse among general help with the British Tripp’s and set ups and specific drills, etc. He said the “Lafayette” actor was not a horse person so the scenes don’t have him moving on a horse when compared to Mel whom he said “would ride for broke” on a horse. I had noticed what I thought was uneasiness from the Lafayette character in scenes on horseback but told myself I must be imagining things and maybe it was a transferred “fear” for the upcoming skirmishes. Guess it wasn’t.
The funniest thing is he shared was that he led the British charge at the beginning of the film and he got too caught up in the scene and goofed up. He wasn’t supposed to speak, except he did. So, the director thought it over and said it wasn’t worth reshooting the entire scene as a result. So, now, he gets some royalties from the film for having a “speaking part.”

They done a lot of good work for films. I wish my unit that I was in had some film work done other than Gods and Generals just one of our sergeants was in it. He was part of the core group. Glad I started my own!

Back