The 1995 US Civil War Mommemorative Stamps.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
We must have some forum members interested in stamps. I am not a real stamp collector but the 1995 is a colorful set of stamps. Still I wonder why the US government selected the subjects for the 20 stamps in this set. So who or what got shorted.

Lincoln and Davis, this seems fine.

General Grant, General Sherman, General Hancock, and Admiral Farragut. So why Hancock? There are other deserving Generals. It is nice they included a Navy Man.

General Lee, General Thomas Jackson, General Joseph Johnston, General Watie, and Admiral Semmes. Well the Confederacy has an extra officer but perhaps Watie was used to represent the Native American contribution. To me it looks like they picked the top Confederate Generals.

Gettysburg, Shiloh, Chancellorsville, and Monitor versus Virginia. Seems like a save selection of battles, but Chancellorsville could have been replaced with another battle. Vicksburg?

Clara Barton and Phoebe Yates Levy Pember. It is nice to have a couple of nurses, one from each side, in the set.

Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, and Mary Chesnut. Harriet Tubman is kind of pre Civil War but nice to have been included. Frederick Douglas included for his anti slavery work. I like Mary Chesnut but not sure why she was included in the Commemorative stamp collection.

So did the US government do a good job of commemorating the Civil War? It is noticeable that neither Fort Sumter and Appomattox were not included. I wonder what was involved in not including them. If set came out today would there be any changes needed?

80896884_1274337082757323_1375791042678226944_n.jpg

these are the ones they put out a couple years back the Battle of New Orleans*

We must have some forum members interested in stamps. I am not a real stamp collector but the 1995 is a colorful set of stamps. Still I wonder why the US government selected the subjects for the 20 stamps in this set. So who or what got shorted.

Lincoln and Davis, this seems fine.

General Grant, General Sherman, General Hancock, and Admiral Farragut. So why Hancock? There are other deserving Generals. It is nice they included a Navy Man.

General Lee, General Thomas Jackson, General Joseph Johnston, General Watie, and Admiral Semmes. Well the Confederacy has an extra officer but perhaps Watie was used to represent the Native American contribution. To me it looks like they picked the top Confederate Generals.

Gettysburg, Shiloh, Chancellorsville, and Monitor versus Virginia. Seems like a save selection of battles, but Chancellorsville could have been replaced with another battle. Vicksburg?

Clara Barton and Phoebe Yates Levy Pember. It is nice to have a couple of nurses, one from each side, in the set.

Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, and Mary Chesnut. Harriet Tubman is kind of pre Civil War but nice to have been included. Frederick Douglas included for his anti slavery work. I like Mary Chesnut but not sure why she was included in the Commemorative stamp collection.

So did the US government do a good job of commemorating the Civil War? It is noticeable that neither Fort Sumter and Appomattox were not included. I wonder what was involved in not including them. If set came out today would there be any changes needed?
Mostly all of the others you mention have had stamps issued in prior years.

Back