NF The 12 Best Civil War Movies

Non-Fiction
Thanks for sharing this! :geek:

I'm curious how "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" made the list. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the concept for what it was, a fantasy movie set pre-Civil War and during riding the popularity of Lincoln's coattails.

Though I do agree with some of the other choices that are often overlooked like "Cold Mountain". Excellent movie that hits the nail on the head regarding the plight of the South at the very end of the war and the toll it took on the women left behind.

I'm curious how "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" made the list. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the concept for what it was, a fantasy movie set pre-Civil War and during riding the popularity of Lincoln's coattails.

Though I do agree with some of the other choices that are often overlooked like "Cold Mountain". Excellent movie that hits the nail on the head regarding the plight of the South at the very end of the war and the toll it took on the women left behind.
Yes, Anna I agree with you about the inclusion of the A.L. Vampire Hunter film - very strange, but I have not seen it !

Yes, Anna I agree with you about the inclusion of the A.L. Vampire Hunter film - very strange, but I have not seen it !

It's enjoyable and well worth seeing if you enjoy period files and want to watch Lincoln come of age as a vampire hunter. It's different for sure. I think the vampire situation is meant to be an analogy of sorts for slavery, but maybe I'm reading too much into it!

Clint Eastwood's - The good, the bad and the ugly should be on this list.
Andersonville, which started as a TV mini-series but ended up as a Gettysburg size ~3 hr movie, should also be in the list before the Vampire stuff.
The Errol Flynn movie about Custer (died with their boots on) that is on the list, is unwatchable and the Vampire Hunter is probably bit closer to reality.

Andersonville, which started as a TV mini-series but ended up as a Gettysburg size ~3 hr movie, should also be in the list before the Vampire stuff.
The Errol Flynn movie about Custer (died with their boots on) that is on the list, is unwatchable and the Vampire Hunter is probably bit closer to reality.
Andersonville is really good. That and the turner movies The ironclads and The Hunley should also be added. Ted Turner has certainly done a lot for the civil war on screen with Andersonville, Gettysburg and gods and generals also part of his contributions

Replace it with Shennandoah

Actually. Don't. I have hated that movie since it came out. Watch any other Stewart movie. Not that one.

Goodness! I might have to watch it just see why its receiving such mixed reviews. Looked up the plot and it seems like an original concept, but I'm concerned about the execution of it. I'm getting cheesy vibe off of it...but I am curious now.

I can agree with most of the movies on he list except 3 I think shouldn't be there.
1. They died with their boos on. total nonsense
2. Secret Service. I've never seen this one but made in 1931 kind of dicey.
3. A. L. Vampire Hunter???? someone was on drugs!

I was curious about "Secret Service" so I Googled it since the Secret Service wasn't officially created until July 1865, which is after the war, so the movie's accuracy is already in question. It doesn't sound bad but seems more like a romantic drama given the description -

"Lewis Dumont, a Northern officer in the American Civil War, works undercover behind Confederate lines in an attempt to lead Southern forces away from an area in which a Northern attack is planned. But Dumont falls in love with a Southern girl and when she proves useful to his plan, his conscience begins to tear at him."
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022356/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

I had not heard of Ride With the Devil, and we were just talking about that subject in another thread. Thank you for posting!
LoriAnn - I really liked this film.
"A Masterpiece that is also one of the finest films touching on the Civil War " Philip French, Observer.
"The Focus is diffused among too many characters, some of them so poorly defined as to be indistinguishable " Stephen Farber, Movieline.

I agree with you that The Good, The Bad & The Ugly should be included ! I love the scene when Clint Eastwood & Eli Wallach (?) are dressed in Confederate uniforms on board a wagon and they see in the distance what they think look like Confederate Cavalry, and when they get right up close, the Cavalry Commander dusts off his Uniform to reveal the blue of the Union and they get captured !!!

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is at least partially enjoyable (no wonder, it has Rufus Sewell in it, the production is okay and the overall cast isn´t too bad). It most likely is just there because the lack of quality competition - I mean what ACW-fantasy should they include instead ... 1998s The Tempest??? :O o:

Back