NF The 12 Best Civil War Movies

Non-Fiction
Some of these movies belong on the list and some don't. Here is an old Walt Disney movie which has long been forgotten.

51AFK24K9BL._SY445_.jpg

Attachments

• 51AFK24K9BL._SY445_.jpg
    51AFK24K9BL._SY445_.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 25
I haven't seen many of those.

I think Red Badge of Courage is a fantastic movie and a brilliant novel. It's a great exploration of courage, or more accurately, the conquering of fear. I think it's by far the best movie about "facing the elephant" that I've ever seen.

Cold Mountain is likewise a great film.

I don't understand why there aren't more movies about the Civil War. It was the most formative and important event in the history of our country for petes sake!

I think a movie about The Iron Brigade would be amazing. The climax could be the charge of the 6th Wisconsin at the railroad cut at Gettysburg.

Some of these movies belong on the list and some don't. Here is an old Walt Disney movie which has long been forgotten.

51AFK24K9BL._SY445_.jpg
@Legion Para, good call. :thumbsup:

Another Disney film that I enjoyed back in the day . . . was the Disney TV movie:
Menace on the Mountain (1970)
small-Menace-Mountain.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066068/

For a two-part Wonderful World of Disney film . . . it was entertaining.

Although a baby, the future star Jodie Foster has a role as one of the secondary characters.

Attachments

• 51AFK24K9BL._SY445_.jpg
    51AFK24K9BL._SY445_.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I do hope that list wasn't in order of importance. "Lincoln" ought to be higher on the list.

Where was "Pharoah's Army"? "Wicked Spring"? "The Red Pony"?

Seems like some good films were supplanted with Disney shams and a silly fantasy.

Last edited:
I actually really enjoyed Cold Mountain (Nicole Kidman looking stunningly beautiful probably helped!) except for that whole lingering 'every soldier is an opportunity rapist' vibe.

I'll admit that i haven't seen the Lincoln/vampire film, but wouldn't 'Gangs of New York' be picked ahead of some vampire movie if we are reaching for nominations?!?!

And i guess i really need to see Daniel Day-Lewis' Lincoln...

#1 film that DOESN'T belong on this list?
'Field of Lost Shoes'.

Last edited:
Back