Monuments The 11th Mississippi Monument at the Gaines' Mill (Farm) Battlefield

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The New 11th Mississippi Monument at Gaines' Mill (Farm).

DSC_0879.JPG

* The Position of the 11th Mississippi Infantry (Looking North to South towards the Watt's House Complex).

DSC_0862.JPG

* The Battle Flag of the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment (Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond).

DSC_0544.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2016).

Last edited:
where is that? Is it on private property?
I am wondering if it is also,like the Texas Monument,on the property owned by the Richmond Battlefield Association that is in the process of being transferred to the NPS.

I think i saw it stands in front of a single family home, so having walked the field, there arent many houses near the battlefield. Hope Bill checks in with an answer.

This inspired me to read up on the history of the 11th Mississippi and this unit has
quite an impressive resume. The University Grays had a 100% casualty rate at
Gettysburg. That is sobering to think that a whole company of men went into
battle without anyone coming out untouched. The Black Eagle Rifles of the 18th
Virginia had all of its men except for one become casualties at Gettysburg. At
Gettysburg, the 11th Mississippi suffered around 350 casualties, at Gaines Mill,
almost 200 casualties and at Sharpsburg over 100 more men became casualties.

where is that? Is it on private property?

The 11th Mississippi Monument sits on private property on Watt House Road (Route 718). This monument is on your left before you enter the Gaines' Mill National Battlefield. The Texas Monument is located in a wooded area down a long private access road. This access road is on the right before you enter the battlefield.

Bill

Back