That yard was cleaned out in less time than I can tell

SWMODave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
southern belle 1.jpg

Photo not related to story
We had received while at Chewalla an order from General Dodge to go out to the residence of a noted guerilla, and recover a barrel of sugar and a sack of coffee, that in some mysterious way had been slipped through the lines at Corinth. Finding no one at home but the mother and two daughters, we confiscated the family ox cart, and loading up the coffee and sugar, we were about to depart, amid the weeping and pleading of the mother and one of the girls.

The other one was of a different stamp. Her black eyes snapped, and her frame fairly trembled wit passion as she said, “Mother, I’m ashamed of you to cry and beg of a Yankee, I’d die before I’d do that.” This moved the tender heart of the adjutant who never could resist beauty in distress, and scarcely waiting for consent, he filled a bucket each with sugar and coffee, and giving them to his ‘orderly’ to carry, marched up the steps to the porch, and gracefully tendered them to the old lady.

Before she had time to accept, our black eyed friend, who stood in the door way, the perfect picture of wrath, exclaimed, "We wont have your nasty old sugar," and making one rush, over went adjutant, orderly and all, in a pile at the foot of the steps, of course, we all commenced to laugh. This only added fuel to the flames, and made her more angry than ever, and catching up a handy butcher knife, she made for the nearest soldier with blood in her eye, and vengeance in her heart.

That yard was cleaned out in less time than I can tell, and the whole command in full retreat.

As Colonel Charles Sargeant Sheldon, who’s real name was Charles Sheldon Sargeant (that’s another story) wrote in Personal Recollections of the 18th Missouri Infantry . In a followup to the story, the cart got stuck trying to cross a river and when Sheldon went back a week later, it had disappeared with the sugar and coffee. He ran into the black eyed lady after that, and learned in 1866, she had married a 'home grown Yankee' and was living on the same farm.

Last edited:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!