Texas vs White , a double edged sword

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Elennsar

Colonel
Have no particular problem with the ACLU watch-dogging the constitution. No one ought to required to pray or prevented from prayer. Sometimes, however, their agitation steps over the edge of ridiculous. The idea of a devout child being denied the right to pray because doing so might make another child uncomfortable or self-conscious is more than ridiculous.
Do we have any actual examples of that?

Individual prayer being interfered with, that is.

Christmas is admittedly a Christian holiday; it has been for centuries. However, now that the word might offend an atheist, cities, towns and schools may be sued if they use the word? That's a bit more than silly. Are we saying that athiests do not give presents on Christmas -- pardon, Holiday Day? I've seen no evidence that Christisns object to Hannukah, Ramadan, Rosh Hoshanna all that much. (I'm offended that there are peoples who note Guy Falkes and St. Swithin's Days.) I haven't seen a calendar in years that didn't include some of those right along with Easter.
See above.

Speaking as an agnostic who uses the phrase "Merry Christmas". Happy Holidays is (from my perspective) there to include all the surrounding holidays - as in, to avoid just referring to Christmas as if the others don't matter.

We tolerate that which is different. We admire the Amish and the hard-working and anyone who works to improve his lot (I'm thinking of the Vietnamese and Latin influx. And the Irish, Germans, Italians, Greeks, Poles, Czechs, and on and on.) I do not tolerate whiners and nit-picky, useless people who demand a share of what I have simply because they "deserve" it.

I have no problem with feeding, clothing and housing those who can't help being destitute. I do have a problem with those who feel entitled to live off everyone elses' dime.
What such people?

The ACLU doesn't seem to mind special bathrooms for foot-washing and time-outs for the obligatory Muslim prayers. Repeat. I have little problem with the ACLU doing its thing, but it too often gets really asinine.

Seems that we're losing the concept of "of the people, by the people, and for the people."

ACLU: Take the Constitution as it was written and protect the minorities, but please get real.
There's a difference between imposing the values of one faith and accommodation of different faiths.

Rob9641

Captain
Annual Winner
Why is it that those who are most vehemently against the idea of the government overstepping itself and interfering with private citizens, often have no problem with the notion of government-promoted religion?

I guess because they assume it'd be their brand of religion?
Because the thing the Rights and the Lefts really have in common is that they want the government to meddle in what THEY want and to stay out of what THEY want. They want money to be spent on what THEY want and cut where THEY want it. They want regulations on what THEY want and unrestricted free enterprise where THEY want it.

K Hale

Colonel
Annual Winner
The idea of a devout child being denied the right to pray because doing so might make another child uncomfortable or self-conscious is more than ridiculous.
No one is being denied the right to pray; in fact, to do so would be unconstitutional. A devout child denied the right to pray should contact the ALCU. Don't believe me? Give this a look.

The concern is not children praying; the concern is children being told to pray by the government. All else is a red herring.

The ACLU doesn't seem to mind special bathrooms for foot-washing and time-outs for the obligatory Muslim prayers.
That's right. Nor do they mind Christians praying. That's why they are called the American Civil Liberties Union.

K Hale

Colonel
Annual Winner
Do we have any actual examples of that?

Individual prayer being interfered with, that is.
We do. At which point the ALCU, as is their job, came in and stomped on the governmental institutions who were doing the interfering.

OpnCoronet

Lt. Colonel
Nothing more to say about White v. Texas. It has no particular reference to the voting rights of rebels (insurrectionists) and/or their leaders, much less the seating rules of Congress

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
You're right. The thread will stay alive until it slips off the bottom of the page because I'll close it if there's another word that isn't about Texas v White.