Texas tyler rifle

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum! My understanding of these is that "manufactured" would be a generous term for them - as suggested in a post above "assembled" is far more accurate. They were made up at Tyler, Texas - a location not known for manufacture before or during the war! - from salvaged parts and pieces, making them especially vulnerable to modern faking from genuine old parts. I seriously doubt any two were exactly alike, making verification of fakes doubly difficult. You've said almost nothing about provenance, or lack thereof, which in this situation could be crucial to authentication.

[QUOTE="Obi1gr
Just to clarify, I am the new owner of this firearm, and it is 100% unquestionably authentic and original in all regards.

Indeed it is the real deal !! :showoff: and I was next in line to get it.. Drag it to Baltimore next year please, so I can at least fondle it.
Dave

It is against the law in most localities to fondle a firearm in public. Check the Baltimore city ordinances, or at least do your fondling in the privacy of a hotel room.

Jeff, my dear Yankee friend,
When a Confederate collector wished to "fondle" a rifle of great value, it is a meaningful and humbling experience, even if it owned by a Northerner.
To fondle a precious object is to handle it with affection and care in an endearing manner. I'd sleep with it if the owner would allow, 'cause in all likelihood, We'll never see another one of 'em.

Jeff, my dear Yankee friend,
When a Confederate collector wished to "fondle" a rifle of great value, it is a meaningful and humbling experience, even if it owned by a Northerner.
To fondle a precious object is to handle it with affection and care in an endearing manner. I'd sleep with it if the owner would allow, 'cause in all likelihood, We'll never see another one of 'em.

You may see that as an appropriate show of affection, but that doesn't mean that it would not been forbidden by law to behave so in public.
I assume a contemplated slumber party would be in private.

[QUOTE="Obi1gr
Just to clarify, I am the new owner of this firearm, and it is 100% unquestionably authentic and original in all regards.

Indeed it is the real deal !! :showoff: and I was next in line to get it.. Drag it to Baltimore next year please, so I can at least fondle it.
Dave

I'll bring it with me! I also have a couple other Confederate guns I need to bring down for a little "show & tell" including a Clapp Gates rifle I picked up last April...and hopefully I'll have a few more since writing this! I did manage a nice numbered P58 Naval rifle as well as an early Leech & Rigdon that's identified this past March.

Hi all try to find any info on a musket I received. I have found very little info online.
It’s a functional Texas rifle tyler, possible a type 1 or type 2. It’s barrel is aprox. 32” long and around 48” in overall length. It has a few issues, missing rear sight, cracked stock near the tang but looks to have a period correct repair. The hammer has a chunk missing near the nipple and the top is broken off. Any and all info would be helpful, possibly value.

View attachment 343708

View attachment 343709

View attachment 343710

View attachment 343711

View attachment 343712

View attachment 343713
WOW, I am so glad I am on the CWTalk forum now, since yesterday. I'm just perusing old links and finding such treasures as this. I haven't looked to other responses but these are so wonderful and such an honest appearing example is prized by us Confederate aficionados. My old friend John Murphy would have loved to see this one, before he died only a handful had been examined. The wood these are made from is intriguing and I always wanted to have a sliver tested for origin of wood. I'd bet it is obscure genus from TX. Congratulations Raymond on finding this rare Yankee souvenir.

Back