Texas Militia Artillery Button

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
Last year, I was lucky enough to find an extremely rare Texas militia artillery button and I wanted to share it with viewers on this forum. More specifically, this button is classified as a CSA280 in Tice's button book.
This CSA280 classification puts the button in an identified group of buttons with the same button maker - T.E. Miller of Houston, TX.
The firm of T.E. Miller produced solid cast Cavalry and a limited number of Artillery buttons in 1862 for the Texas Militia as they were pressed into service in the Confederacy.
This was a find of a lifetime!

This is my first post so I'm not sure how many of you search camp or battlefield sites for artifacts. It's a delicate hobby indeed. Federal and state properties are strictly off limits and approaching private land owners wanting to "dig" on their land can be a diplomatic endeavor at best.

I was searching for places to use a metal detector and pulled up to a nicely kept plantation home along one of Louisiana's many bayous. I knew Confederate troops had been in the area. Everything was against me when I knocked on the screen door of the landowner's home.
Strike 1: It was a Sunday afternoon
Strike 2: I was tearing him away from the ballgame he was watching on the TV.
Strike 3: It had just finished raining and the poor ground conditions wouldn't favor his beautifully manicured lawn.
But I had travelled from central Mississippi and I figured I would go full in.
To my surprise, he was very cordial and knew exactly what I was talking about when discussing my desire to find "minie ball" bullets around his home.
Maybe he just felt pity on me.
He went back inside and after a few moments returned with a handful of bullets and some miscellaneous brass that I immediately identified as civil war period relics. He gave me permission to hunt and wished me luck because he didn't think I would find much. He found his relics in his garden but didn't think there was much left to find.
After searching for an hour in mud that could be best described as the "quicksand" type, I was ready to pack it in and go home with little to show for my efforts. Suddenly, my detector sounded off a good target and I figured I was good for one more hole before heading home. Out popped this button.
I've attached a picture of the button moments after it was dug and the cleaned up button.
Solid cast one piece brass, this button was more than likely lost by an artilleryman serving in Walker's Texas Division based on it's location and it's positive i.d. as a Texas button. They were the only Texas unit in the area in 1863. There were 3 artillery batteries attached to Walker's Texans. They certainly had a storied history!
Many thanks to William Leigh for his help in identifying my find. And thanks for letting me share this find with you.
Please feel free to give me any additional insight you may have on this button or it's origin with Walker's Texas Division.

A1 cleaned111.jpg

dug111.jpg

Great first post @Tom Hughes! I remember when you found that and how excited you were. Little did you know just how rare it would turn out to be!!

I know that @AUG is knowledgeable about the Texans and could shed light on that unit for you. Maybe he will chime in about Walker’s Texans and their role over there in Louisiana!!

A dug T. Miller button is always a heck of a find. I've never been able to nap one, but I've seen plenty of the star CS ones and T. Miller block C's come up. The artillery ones always seem a little bit harder to come by from everything I see.

Also I don't want to seem like I'm being mean, but the term "Texas Militia" is a little off. Before the War there was no standing Texas State Militia, and during the War the very few battalions of Texas troops not under Confederate jurisdiction were "State Troops" and outside the Frontier Regiment they were short lived to put it mildly. Texas Militia just didn't exist, and Walker's Greyhounds were Confederate troops rather than any form of militia, big difference. I don't like being "that guy" but its hard not to say something.

Either way great find and welcome to CWT!

Thanks for sharing!

I know that @AUG is knowledgeable about the Texans and could shed light on that unit for you. Maybe he will chime in about Walker’s Texans and their role over there in Louisiana!!
I'm no expert when it comes to buttons, but I can add a bit on the Texas artillery batteries attached to Walker's Division. They were:

Mechlin's/Haldeman's Battery (aka Van Dorn Light Artillery); organized in San Antonio; attached to the 1st Brigade.

Daniel's Battery (aka Lamar Artillery); organized in Paris, Lamar County, Texas; attached to the 2nd Brigade.

Edgar's Battery; aka Alamo City Guards, or Edgar's Co. A, Texas Light Artillery after entering Confederate service in April 1861; organized in San Antonio; attached to the 3rd Brigade.

Unless it's already known that T.E. Miller produced buttons with the letter A simply standing for "Artillery," then I was thinking there could be a connection to Edgar's. But I assume that it is the former, and the conclusion that it's an artillery button in the first place was probably based on that.

Whatever the case, here's the link to a good web page on Edgar's Battery, which had an interesting history:
http://www.lamarcountytx.org/civilwar/1arthis.shtm

Thanks for sharing!

I'm no expert when it comes to buttons, but I can add a bit on the Texas artillery batteries attached to Walker's Division. They were:

Mechlin's/Haldeman's Battery (aka Van Dorn Light Artillery); organized in San Antonio; attached to the 1st Brigade.

Daniel's Battery (aka Lamar Artillery); organized in Paris, Lamar County, Texas; attached to the 2nd Brigade.

Edgar's Battery; aka Alamo City Guards, or Edgar's Co. A, Texas Light Artillery after entering Confederate service in April 1861; organized in San Antonio; attached to the 3rd Brigade.

Unless it's already known that T.E. Miller produced buttons with the letter A simply standing for "Artillery," then I was thinking there could be a connection to Edgar's. But I assume that it is the former, and the conclusion that it's an artillery button in the first place was probably based on that.

Whatever the case, here's the link to a good web page on Edgar's Battery, which had an interesting history:
It certainly make sense that it could be related to Alamo City Guards. That would really make it a rare item!

Congrats on a Fantastic button. One thing about these is that amoung relic hunters and CS button collectors it doesn't need a back-mark as the solid cast with lined field screams Miller. They did make a C with a back-mark as well as several others. VERY NICE Find. I would love to see a photo of the back.
1559137669343.png

1559137689663.png

1559137726323.png

1559137761693.png

A dug T. Miller button is always a heck of a find. I've never been able to nap one, but I've seen plenty of the star CS ones and T. Miller block C's come up. The artillery ones always seem a little bit harder to come by from everything I see.

Also I don't want to seem like I'm being mean, but the term "Texas Militia" is a little off. Before the War there was no standing Texas State Militia, and during the War the very few battalions of Texas troops not under Confederate jurisdiction were "State Troops" and outside the Frontier Regiment they were short lived to put it mildly. Texas Militia just didn't exist, and Walker's Greyhounds were Confederate troops rather than any form of militia, big difference. I don't like being "that guy" but its hard not to say something.

Either way great find and welcome to CWT!
Thanks for the education on Texas Militia. Always learning something new.

Congrats on a Fantastic button. One thing about these is that amoung relic hunters and CS button collectors it doesn't need a back-mark as the solid cast with lined field screams Miller. They did make a C with a back-mark as well as several others. VERY NICE Find. I would love to see a photo of the back.
View attachment 309623
View attachment 309625
View attachment 309626
View attachment 309627
My button doesn't have a backmark. I'll post the back up later for you to see.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing!

Based on what I just read on your link, I bet the owner of this button was in Edgar's Battery (Alamo City Guards). Great information. thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for sharing!

AUG, do you have any other information regarding the Alamo City Guards or the unit they were with? Or could you put me on any other resources? Thanks so much!!

AUG, do you have any other information regarding the Alamo City Guards or the unit they were with? Or could you put me on any other resources? Thanks so much!!
I'll check through some books later, but I think the best info on Edgar's Battery is on that web page I linked. There's not very much on these Texas batteries. For Walker's Division as a whole, Richard Lowe's book is the go-to history, although he doesn't say much else on Edgar's, other than detailing some of the engagements they were in.

Hello @Tom Hughes and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. You already have the help of many of the best folks here. I know nothing about buttons, but can recognize a great find by the reaction of those who have replied. Congratulations on such a fantastic find and THANK YOU for sharing it with us!

Hello @Tom Hughes and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. You already have the help of many of the best folks here. I know nothing about buttons, but can recognize a great find by the reaction of those who have replied. Congratulations on such a fantastic find and THANK YOU for sharing it with us!
Thank-you for your kind words!

Back