Terry's Texas Rangers in bear skin suits.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The Memphis Appeal of 21 February 1862 tells us what Terry's Texas Rangers wore for uniforms. On of the odd uniforms appears to be one man in a whole suit made of bear skin and several had pants of a similar material. Would this be with or without all the bear's hair?

Since I have never seen a picture of a soldier in a bear skin uniform, these are just guesses. I am assuming that the hair was still on or they wouldn't have known they were bear skins. Another thing I thought about is that this is from the Memphis Appeal and it could be that Tennesseans may have mistaken chaps for pants. Just my thoughts.

Somewhere I remember seeing a photograph of a Texas officer in jaguar pants with the fur still on. The caption referred to them being famous so I assume they were unusual. Also, Texan are notorious for hyping being Texan. In my younger days I had a pair of red boots I would only wear when I was working in D.C. From what I've read about Terry's Rangers they might have gotten bear skin pants to freak out the locals.

Well chaps might make sense. I can not understand any bear skin coat or jacket. It would seem like bear skin with the hair would be very heavy to wear and very hot. The only thing a bear skin coat would be good for is cold weather and perhaps bear skin would be good in the rain.

My thought is that in the winter of 1861-62 the rangers had consumed their first uniforms and that at the beginning of 1862, since there is still a regular supply, they arranged as they could, against the cold. Maybe they had found some coats and trousers in bearskin, but it is only a hypothesis.

My thought is that in the winter of 1861-62 the rangers had consumed their first uniforms and that at the beginning of 1862, since there is still a regular supply, they arranged as they could, against the cold. Maybe they had found some coats and trousers in bearskin, but it is only a hypothesis.
I think this might be a good explanation. I guess the article only describes one trooper wearing bearskins, which I could probably see. I doubt they were widespread throughout the whole regiment though.

Here's how most of Terry's Texas Rangers looked without bearskins:
TerrysTexasRangers.jpg

LOL. Only Texans.....smell like sheep and wear bear skins. :smile: How did they ever get on a horse? Near a horse, for that matter?

Could've been bear skin....chaps like that were pretty popular. And I suspect there were enough bears running around in East Texas they could have picked one up on the way. A skin, I mean....not a bear!

I've also seen some dyed goat hide chaps that were pretty scary.

184bhm4o6rn3vjpg.jpg

Maybe it was this guy!

5d41088effca84c565c5b9292039b73d.jpg

Last edited:
LOL. Only Texans.....smell like sheep and wear bear skins. :smile: How did they ever get on a horse? Near a horse, for that matter?

Could've been bear skin....chaps like that were pretty popular. And I suspect there were enough bears running around in East Texas they could have picked one up on the way. A skin, I mean....not a bear!

I've also seen some dyed goat hide chaps that were pretty scary.

184bhm4o6rn3vjpg.jpg

Maybe it was this guy!

5d41088effca84c565c5b9292039b73d.jpg
I bet he'd be tickled pink to know that people are still talking about those pants over 150 years later.

I think this might be a good explanation. I guess the article only describes one trooper wearing bearskins, which I could probably see. I doubt they were widespread throughout the whole regiment though.

Here's how most of Terry's Texas Rangers looked without bearskins:
TerrysTexasRangers.jpg
I'm probably mistaken but, is there something with a fringe and buttons below the knee of the second man from the left?

I'm probably mistaken but, is there something with a fringe and buttons below the knee of the second man from the left?
Possibly. Looks like it could just be the top part of his boot, hard to tell though.

Btw, the famous/infamous leopard skin trousers image is Captain Samuel J. Richardson commanding Company F, "W. P. Lane Rangers" of the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles. They were recruited in Harrison County.

Back