Terrible Fight with the Bloodhounds

Yankeedave

Captain
Wilson322.JPG

http://midlistwriter.blogspot.com/2016_04_24_archive.html?m=1
"“Terrible Fight with Bloodhounds,” this engraving appeared in Leslie’s Illustrated magazine in March of 1864...
On October 23, 1862, the 1st South Carolina Regiment (Colored) was attacked by the Confederates at Pocatalago Bridge, South Carolina. The rebels sent bloodhounds after the black troops."

This seems to coincide with one of the Battles for the Pocotaglio. I cannot find the 1st S.C.C.T. on an order of battle.
pocotaligo_11398_lg.gif

http://civilwarsesquicentdaily-wolfshield.blogspot.com/2012/10/october-23-1862.html?m=1
"...in an attempt to cut the railroad between Savannah and Charleston, several Federal regiments, under command of Generals Brannan and Terry, land at Macky’s Point in the coastal waters of southern South Carolina, and march inland toward Pocotaligo Bridge. At first, Col. Walker of the Confederate Army has only a battery of cannon and 400+ men to oppose them. Heavy fighting delays the Federal advance, although the bluecoats manage to drive off the Rebels each time. By the time they reach Pocotaligo, Walker has received 200 reinforcements, and the two sides blaze away until dusk, when the thwarted Yankees march back to the river and board their transports back to Hilton Head.
"Today, pickets clash along the railway route, but the Federals are unable to find any openings."

Is that last part the pic? Oct. 22, 1862 being the date of battle proper and the bloodhound wood cut being the rear guard fight on the 23rd?

The 1st South Carolina (later 33rd USCT) was initially mustered into service by MG David Hunter in March, 1862. Politically Hunter had jumped the gun and without support from Washington the regiment was disbanded (save one company) in August. A couple weeks later Washington changed their minds and one of Hunter's subordinate's, BG Rufus Saxton, was authorized to arm and equip up to 5000 volunteers of African descent. The first of these volunteers and the remaining company of Hunter's attempted were mustered in as a reconstituted 1st South Carolina Infantry (Colored) on November 1, 1862. At the time of the 2nd Battle of Pocataligo, the 1st South Carolina did not exist. Leslie apparently did not accurately report the incident.
https://www.lowcountryafricana.com/project/history-of-the-33rd-united-states-colored-troops-usct/

The 1st South Carolina (later 33rd USCT) was initially mustered into service by MG David Hunter in March, 1862. Politically Hunter had jumped the gun and without support from Washington the regiment was disbanded (save one company) in August. A couple weeks later Washington changed their minds and one of Hunter's subordinate's, BG Rufus Saxton, was authorized to arm and equip up to 5000 volunteers of African descent. The first of these volunteers and the remaining company of Hunter's attempted were mustered in as a reconstituted 1st South Carolina Infantry (Colored) on November 1, 1862. At the time of the 2nd Battle of Pocataligo, the 1st South Carolina did not exist. Leslie apparently did not accurately report the incident.
https://www.lowcountryafricana.com/project/history-of-the-33rd-united-states-colored-troops-usct/
I had an interest as my old reenactment unit was in the "battle". Checking the o.o.b., I didn't find the colored troops.
Thanks Ernie!

The so called bloodhounds in that engraving look like American Staffordshire Terriers
(pit bulls) which would make more sense to let loose to attack those troops. Bloodhounds
are actually one of the most gentle dog breeds in existence, you would only have to worry
about them licking you to death. Me and the wife have a blue nose pit bull we adopted
from the SPCA after our German Shepherd that we owned for fourteen years passed away.
Our pit bull is named Gordon and he is the most loving dog we have ever owned and we
have owned several during the years. He is a ninety pound lap dog and my wife would
literally kill me if I tried to get rid of him. We kept the name the SPCA gave him and I
think Gordon is appropriate for a Civil War forum.

Last edited:
I worked in the Low Country and you can talk the war there all day, everyday. I saw a few of the local remnants of batteries and small forts all the way to Hilton Head. There are a few small grave yards I went to pay my respects at. There was a plantation house that had been restored and preserved on private property.

But I haven't ever heard of dogs being used. Wouldn't shock me either way, if they were used or not. That war was particularly brutal and what didn't happen made it to presses just as much the ones that did.

I have a couple funny stories but I'm not going to jam this all up. Message me and I'll relate.

The incident of killing the bloodhounds took place in 1862, or very early 1863, and is described in T. W. Higginson's account of his time with the 1st South Carolina Volunteers(First South!) during a skirmish. The fight at Pocataglio happened much later. As noted above, the First South had been re-designated the 33rd USCT.

Newspaper accounts, often written by reporters who were not there, might contain mistakes. The illustrations of the dogs, executed by artists who were not present, probably does not accurately depict the appearance of the dogs.

Back