Tennessee 37th Infantry

Is there a way to find out if a 37th TN infantryman was killed in battle or not? William Blair 17 yrs old is listed as a member of the 37th along with his brother Jacob 20 yrs old (my great grandpa) They enlisted on the same date in 1861 in Knoxville. I can't find anything else about William except an enlistment Muster Roll Card. I realize that so many of our boys were killed without ID. Jacob survived.

Maybe @Zella can help with William. Depending on when they enlisted and when William turned 18, He was probably discharged for being "underage" after April 1862 when the 1st conscription law was passed. Men under 18 and over 35 were discharged. Are you aware Jacob's widow filed for a Confederate widow's pension? You can download it here: https://www.familysearch.org/en/ all that's required is creating a free account.

William's CSR is pretty bare. I think I found the muster record you mentioned, but the information on it is very vague and that's all that is there. :frown: Now, according to the NPS database, there were several William Blairs in Tennessee who served in the war. Do you have a middle name/initial for him? Might be able to narrow down if he enlisted in another regiment at some point.

As of right now, I think Glenn's theory about his being discharged for being underage sounds very plausible, though.

Attachments

• William Blair CSR.pdf
    300.2 KB · Views: 14
Shortly after organization the regiment moved to Camp of Instruction at Camp Sam Hays, Germantown, Shelby, County.

I should know about the camp at Germantown but I don't recall any info. I will try to find out more if you are interested.

I live next door and see some names of places and skirmishes. Never heard of Camp Sam Hays. Let me know if you find something.

Maybe @Zella can help with William. Depending on when they enlisted and when William turned 18, He was probably discharged for being "underage" after April 1862 when the 1st conscription law was passed. Men under 18 and over 35 were discharged. Are you aware Jacob's widow filed for a Confederate widow's pension? You can download it here: https://www.familysearch.org/en/ all that's required is creating a free account.
Great! Thanks for that. Good info to know. When I visit the cemetery this fall, I'll look for William if he's in the family plots vicinity.

Good morning gentlemen! I am very pleased to have found this thread and hope that some if not all of you can be some help to my quest! I need any and all info about Major John M Wall Company G of the 15th & 37th TN Vols. He is my great great great grandfather on my mother’s side. I have included a letter sent to John’s Widow’s son from her new marriage asking about his old dear friend. My family has never known what happen to Dr.Wall after the battle of Atlanta. This is a mystery I’m trying to solve while also trying to find any correspondence from Bate Bragg.... anything! I am sure someone wrote major Wall letters!?!? I have read the Gleason book and even tracked the old man to nursing home and got to speak to him about his book, thinking he knew what happen to John.I have his muster rolls and election letters to Major from Archives.. I even have a portrait of the Doctor. I am looking for any and all help about the 15th and my ancestor!

C4A7BF2A-27C5-4E7A-886F-580433FC6B0C.jpeg

Attachments

• RandyP.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 40
Good morning gentlemen! I am very pleased to have found this thread and hope that some if not all of you can be some help to my quest! I need any and all info about Major John M Wall Company G of the 15th & 37th TN Vols. He is my great great great grandfather on my mother’s side. I have included a letter sent to John’s Widow’s son from her new marriage asking about his old dear friend. My family has never known what happen to Dr.Wall after the battle of Atlanta. This is a mystery I’m trying to solve
Hello @Rebelgreatwhite and welcome. My gg grandfather was also a Confederate surgeon, initially enlisted in the 16th Alabama of Sterling Alexander Martin (S.A.M.) Wood's brigade. Interestingly, in the letter you attached, I noticed that Dr. Wall was captured in the hospitals after the battle of Perrryville. My ancestor was also captured after Perryville.

Upon arrival at Chattanooga from Tulahoma, my gg grandfather was transferred to hospital service at Ringgold. At the onset of the Atlanta Campaign, he was serving in the Bragg Hospital at Newnan GA, but they soon removed further away to LaGrange as the lines shifted. He served in the AoT hospitals until the end of the war.

I hope that you can find out what happened to Dr. Wall. Unfortunately "Wall" is likely to be mis-recorded and/or mis-transcribed. Often confused with H, N, and M in cursive writing, the letter "W" is probably one of the most mis-transcribed letters in the alphabet. Have you already checked for records in all the regiments of the brigade, in "officers", and in "miscellaneous" for all the possible variations (Wahl, Mall, Hall, Nall, Wace, Nace, Mace, Hill, Will, etc)?

I’m not following you on checking records in all regiments of the brigade? Could you explain?
Sometimes records for Surgeons can be found filed in other regiments of the same brigade. A regiment started out with +/- 1000 men. A regiment was assigned, with 3-5 other regiments, to form a brigade. After a battle, Confederate regimental hospitals were generally grouped in proximity of those regiments in the same brigade.

During the Atlanta campaign, Dr Wall's regiment, the 15th/37th TN was assigned to "Tyler's brigade" commanded by Brigadier General Thomas Benton Smith. The other regiments in the brigade at that time were the 10th, 20th, and 30th Tennessee, the 37th Georgia, and the 4th Georgia Sharpshooters. If you can find out who the surgeons of those regiments were, you may find some mention of Dr. Wall in their files. It's at least worth a look.

Back