Tennessee 16th Cavalry Battalion

Hello All

My name is Phil & I live in Jacksonville Beach, Florida.

I am tracing my Great, Great Grandfather, Putnam Wayne Hoyl (Hoyle).
I found out that Putnam served in the Tennessee 16th Cavalry Battalion (Neal’s) Company B, rank Corporal, Private. Record shows P. W. Hoyl.

He was from McMinn, County Tennessee. I believe that he was in the Atlanta area at the end of the war.
He later became a doctor & settled in Columbus, Ga.

Any info regarding him would be appreciated.

This is a very interesting site & I have spent hours reading. I was interested in the burning of Darien, Ga since I visit there quite often & am familiar with Butler plantation.

Thanks.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

TomV71

Corporal
Silver Patron
Welcome from Norway.
16th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion served in Vaughans Brigade in East Tennessee during 1864 and until the end of the war, in case you didn't know. They took part in the Lynchburg Campaign in Virginia in June 1864.

TnFed

Corporal
Welcome from Southwest Ohio. Always glad to see folks who's ancestors are from East TN. or West NC.

Hello All

I found out that Putnam served in the Tennessee 16th Calvary Battalion (Neal’s) Company B, rank Corporal, Private. Record shows P. W. Hoyl.

He was from McMinn, County Tennessee. I believe that he was in the Atlanta area at the end of the war.

This is a very interesting site & I have spent hours reading. I was interested in the burning of Darien, Ga since I visit there quite often & am familiar with Butler plantation.

Thanks.
Welcome !

Hello All

I found out that Putnam served in the Tennessee 16th Calvary Battalion (Neal’s) Company B, rank Corporal, Private. Record shows P. W. Hoyl.

Thanks.
Didn't know if you had this :

http://tngenweb.org/civilwar/16th-tennessee-cavalry-battalion/

James N.

Major
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Hello All

Thanks.
Hi, Phil!

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and someone who has at least a little familiarity with the burning of Darien!

cap010AL.JPG

Ps. In the future, be sure to spell cavalry correctly - it's something of a pet peeve for many of us around here!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)