Ten Things I'd Rather Not See

Ordinance. laws
Ordnance. Weaponry stuff, boom boom

Interesting the ways words are missed used.

Calvary. The mount
Cavalry. Rides the mount

LOL

Recruitment is way up in my unit. Only 2 years old starting with 2 members, and now is about to break 40. This will be the start of our 3rd season. I myself only joined this past year. Our recruitment drive is on full tilt, and we have members mainly in Ky. but also from Ohio, Tn. and In.. One day I hope to see 60 on the field. Then we will really start to look the part of a Company. Presently 1 Capt., 1 1st Sgt., 1 Sgt. 2 Cpl., the rest of us are Pvts. In the past 2 months we have gained 5 members. I hoping for 5 more before Shiloh. Also have a article about the group in the new issue of the Kentucky Civil War Bugle online.

Just a shameless plug. LOL.

S.D.Swart

Too many Confederates wearing kepis reenacting battles fought after about mid 1862.

GG Grandfather John M. Carlisle -- Chaplain 7th SC Inf.
GG Uncle James H. Carlisle – signer of SC Ordinance of Secession
G Grandfather Nathaniel L. McCormick—Private, Battery E 40th [3rd] N C Artillery
G Grandfather Thomas M. Bolton – Private, Co. G 19th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Dougald McCormick--Private Co. D 46th NC Inf.
G Uncle Duncan McCormick – Private, NC Home Guard
G Uncle Alexander Mc Cormick –1st Sgt, Co. B 6th Ms Inf.
G Uncle Murdoch McCormick—Private, Ms Home Guard
G Uncle James W. Bolton – Private, Co. B (Rives) Nelson Light Artillery (Va.), 1864 Co. G, 19th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Albert G. Bolton – Private, Co. F 27th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Alexander H. Bolton – Private, Co. D 7th Va. Inf.
G Uncle Lindsey C. Bolton – Private, Co. B. 1st Va. Reserves
G Uncle Thomas D. Boone – Captain,. Co. F 1st NC Inf.
G. Uncle James D. Boone -- Quartermaster sergeant, Co. F 1st NC Inf.
G Uncle James W. Boone -- Private, Co. D 59th (4th Cav.) NC, 1st NC Inf. Co. F
G Uncle Peter Lindsey Breeden—Captain, Co. E, 4th SC Cav.
G Uncle A.J. Breeden – Private, Co. E. 4th SC Cav.
Cousins –Daniel McKinnon, Luther McKinnon, John N. McKinnon, McKay McKinnon, Murdoch McKinnon -- all privates in Company E 40th (3rd) NC artillery [heavy]

While I do not disagree with you per say, I refuse to exclude people just on the basis of it wasn't done then, so it can't be done now attitude. I believe that is ONE BIG reason we have very few black reenactors in the hobby today. I would much prefer a Black Company of soldiers take the field, but if you only have 3 black Federal Infantry reenactors, they would have to be part of a company, and thus march and drill with their white brethern. This should encourage more Black reenactors to join, and with time, hopefully you can have that Black authenic company of men. Other wise those 3 men would have to take the roles of workers for the army, which is fine, but they want to take a part on the field as much as the next guy. I for one will not stop them from doing so.

S. D. Swart

I really like this attitude of including folks that want to participate, same way as being family friendly, instead of building roadblocks. There are inherently so many inaccuracies on the field the way it is just naturally, that this example would be minor in my opinion. Most spectators wouldn't know the difference or care.

I really like this attitude of including folks that want to participate, same way as being family friendly, instead of building roadblocks. There are inherently so many inaccuracies on the field the way it is just naturally, that this example would be minor in my opinion. Most spectators wouldn't know the difference or care.

Excellent points, thank you for sharing.

Another thing I hate to see...cheesy polyester battle flags with inspirational messages:

$%28KGrHqF,%21isE1M%217vOmiBNcWWvhs+w%7E%7E_3.jpg
I agree with this. But at my house I have 3 flag poles. I fly the U.S. and MIA flag on the main pole (20'). The second and third poles I fly "Historically" designed flags. I fly poly flags at home for several reasons--cost, long term wear, and availability. I change the 2 flag poles weekly from Fort sumpter flag, to all the cofed national flags, to unit flags, to revolutionary flags. This all started when for fun I put up the Bonnie blue one time and had neighbers stop and ask about it.-- Texas flag, Cuban flag, generals flag? I told them to go home and google it. -- Now it's turned into a History lesson for the neighbors- they are always wondering whats goin to go up next.

Recruitment is way up in my unit. Only 2 years old starting with 2 members, and now is about to break 40. This will be the start of our 3rd season. I myself only joined this past year. Our recruitment drive is on full tilt, and we have members mainly in Ky. but also from Ohio, Tn. and In.. One day I hope to see 60 on the field. Then we will really start to look the part of a Company. Presently 1 Capt., 1 1st Sgt., 1 Sgt. 2 Cpl., the rest of us are Pvts. In the past 2 months we have gained 5 members. I hoping for 5 more before Shiloh. Also have a article about the group in the new issue of the Kentucky Civil War Bugle online.

Just a shameless plug. LOL.

S.D.Swart

Bring some of these folks down to the Battle of Mossy Creek and show us what you've got! An extra ration of hardtack as bounty. Such a deal!

I agree with this. But at my house I have 3 flag poles. I fly the U.S. and MIA flag on the main pole (20'). The second and third poles I fly "Historically" designed flags. I fly poly flags at home for several reasons--cost, long term wear, and availability. I change the 2 flag poles weekly from Fort sumpter flag, to all the cofed national flags, to unit flags, to revolutionary flags. This all started when for fun I put up the Bonnie blue one time and had neighbers stop and ask about it.-- Texas flag, Cuban flag, generals flag? I told them to go home and google it. -- Now it's turned into a History lesson for the neighbors- they are always wondering whats goin to go up next.

I'm sure he meant polyester flags at actual events, just my best guess though.

Back