Tempting Purse Strings, More Era Advertisements, 1863

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Really cannot get enough of these. Decided to save by year while looking for something else ( may or may not have had to do with Gettysburg. ) Since we live, eat and breathe in a virtual world composed of virtually everything American Civil War, I should virtuously adhere to research within those years. :angel: Someone shoot me know before I remember another definition.

ad a 1.JPG

A wellie-wearing, banner waving charging pachyderm. You know, opium products were perfectly legal over the counter in 1863. Must have made advertising a lot easier.

ad a 2.JPG

Boy would she be unpopular in 2016

ad a 3.JPG

Give you a crick in the neck

ad a 4.JPG

ad a 5.JPG

A lot of cricks in the neck
ad a 6.JPG

Bet she's sewing a quilt........ :angel: ( that's a Pinterest joke )

ad a 7.JPG

There were a LOT of this kind of thing through the war years- and no, not as many before and after. I checked. . Gives me a pang in my heart.

ad a 8.JPG

Not an add exactly- an add to go VOTE. Got you right in the conscience.

ad a 9.JPG

ad a 10.JPG

More of these than you'd think!

ad a 11.JPG

ad a 12.JPG

ad a 13.JPG

This is cool as heck.

ad a 14.JPG

Wish SO, so much we could walk through that warehouse- as is, in 1863. Die with delight.

ad a 15.JPG

These blew up- more frequently than you'd think. Steam was a little dicey.

Few more, next post

c16.JPG

Became a little sidetracked on the topic of circus acts and sideshows....., simultaneous stunts stimulating senses, stupendous, stunning, synchronized, death-defying feats. ( What is wrong with me today? )

c17.JPG

c18.JPG

c19.JPG

c20.JPG

What's anyone guess on the ' Emerald Cages' ?

c21.JPG

c22.JPG

Laugh Inspiring Clowns! They did not pay that copy writer enough, to be sure.

c23.JPG

c23.JPG

c24.JPG

c25.JPG

Bumped into this horse once before- he controlled something or other by means of that switch on that box- while being carried by willing servants. LOVE this one.

c26.JPG

Ta Da!!! HOLY gee whiz. I think this really occurred.

c27.JPG

As did this.

c28.JPG

This would have been kind of awesome to see, no?

c29.JPG

c30.JPG

And these really do spit, which removes from me all desire to observe them in all their exotic glory.

I love these ads. I had them at the start of each section in my first book from Nashville newspapers. That is why I was asking what site you used most. I spent a lot of hours whizzing around microfilm and would love to do it on-line. I need to get to work on finding some for the new book but just keep finding shiny things to chase after instead.

:D

I was just cleaning my machine last night. I wonder what those early machines could really do.

Fine, I'll go look it up!

A 1913 Treadle

*Gasp!" Look at this one! An 1891 machine with accessories.
I have a Singer that was made around 1900 but it has an electric plug. I am wondering if that was added later? I remember talk about it formerly being a treadle but it was so long ago I don't remember much. Were they able to be converted?

I love these ads. I had them at the start of each section in my first book from Nashville newspapers. That is why I was asking what site you used most. I spent a lot of hours whizzing around microfilm and would love to do it on-line. I need to get to work on finding some for the new book but just keep finding shiny things to chase after instead.

Shiny things? You should see the pile in front of me and what am I doing? Head to self " Hmmmm, you know, I'll bet there are better ads in 1864..... " Self- " Not going to be able to get much wireless from the dumpster you'll be living if you do not get this work completed, who cares? " Head " Bet there'd be some pretty cool stuff in dumpster."

These are all LoC- you can see the offerings better than any of the others- like a gallery hence not got to the trouble of opening papers which might have nothing or pics you've seen. The war years did not have as many- on the other hand had some of my favorites!

ad a 16.JPG

ad a 17a.JPG

I love this one because the owner doesn't look like a barrel of monkeys, as it were- seems to have insisted on being the headliner.
ad a 17b.JPG

ad a 17c.JPG

AND she offers ' COMIC MULES '. I'm finding them wildly distracting.

ad a 18.JPG

Is he nailing UP the flag or destroying it?

ad a 19.JPG

ad a 20.JPG

You really cannot tell what they're referring to.

ad a 21.JPG

'One of the best female physicians.... in the United States ", I forget
how many there were- but it was not many more than one.

ad a 22.JPG

HA! Another one, Lori Ann! Bet you'll find this one, too!

ad a 23.JPG

OH gosh

ad a 24.JPG

This seems Biblical so could not figure out what in blazes it had to do with Friends, relatives, Army or Navy

ad a 25.JPG

Brazilian PEBBLE Specs. Unsure. Pebbles and anything you see through.

ad a 26.JPG

Very, very happy about this entire ad.

Some of the ads I found were actually quite scandalous (and funny). I did a quick search at LOC awhile back and seems like I kept getting papers other than the one I wanted. I need to figure out how to stick to one particular paper. I'll do that now...no, wait...what is that shiny thing reflecting the sun? I must go see...

I have a Singer that was made around 1900 but it has an electric plug. I am wondering if that was added later? I remember talk about it formerly being a treadle but it was so long ago I don't remember much. Were they able to be converted?
Cool! That must be a beauty. :smile:

I have no idea, but I think I shall take a look around the net tonight. I'm curious about what's out there. From what I've read during my quick, initial search, treadle machines are becoming more popular with those who appreciate "off the grid" options.

Some of the ads I found were actually quite scandalous (and funny). I did a quick search at LOC awhile back and seems like I kept getting papers other than the one I wanted. I need to figure out how to stick to one particular paper. I'll do that now...no, wait...what is that shiny thing reflecting the sun? I must go see...

Yes, never figured out how to refine to one paper. I'll just refine to one year and scroll through them. Fulton postcards lets you refine to one paper but you can't see what the page looks like before opening- newspapers dot com, same. It's not like it matters. I don't think I've ever stayed on the same, darn search anyway! It's really difficult! They're just too, too interesting!

From what little I've read, it seems that old treadle machines could be converted to electric if they had something called a motor mount. So perhaps, @BelleBlackburn, your machine was indeed a treadle at one point.

Naturally I had to go look up Grover & Baker. :smile: I found this video of an 1863 Grover and Baker machine.
That must have been really high tech at the time!

My daughter makes bags and purses and knows her way around sewing machines and has actually used my Singer several times when here.

Back