Tell father that my trust in the Lord is unshaken

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
a b smith.jpg
It would be called the Battle of Helena, Arkansas, and considering the Union Army would experience two of its greatest victories on the same day, this smaller battle of July 4, 1863, gained scarce attention. In an unsuccessful bid to seize the Union fort there, and relieve pressure on Vicksburg, Confederate Lieutenant-General Theophilus Holmes' failed attack, would eventually lead to the fall of Little Rock, Arkansas. One of the Union defenders at Helena, was then Lt Adam Burns Smith, of Company B, 33rd Missouri Volunteers. Arriving in Helena four months prior to the attack, Adam kept a diary of daily life at his new post.

adam smith march 12 1863.jpg

Some day's Adam wrote extensively of his daily activities. Other days, the boredom became overpowering.

adam smith april 16 1863.jpg

July 3, 1863 - the day before the attack
adam smith july 3a 1863.jpg

adam smith july 3b 1863.jpg

A final entry, written by his captain
adam smith july 5a 1863.jpg

adam smith july 5b 1863.jpg

adam smith july 5c 1863.jpg

And finally, from an uncredited newspaper clipping glued in the diary
a b smith obit.jpg

Lt Smith is buried in the Memphis National Cemetery - his memorial is here

As the handwriting is pretty clear, I did not transcribe.

Last edited:
How I love reading about my brothers and sisters in Christ. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints". How their faith shines so brilliantly in such times of calamity. Little did they imagine that the Lord would use their testimonies to convert a wretch like me, many many years later. At my husband's death bed, I endeavored to continue their legacy of fervent trust in the Lord. Who knows what the Lord will use in his ultimate plan? The world watches, and in such times of calamity we have opportunities to honor our glorious Father in heaven.

How I love reading about my brothers and sisters in Christ. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints". How their faith shines so brilliantly in such times of calamity. Little did they imagine that the Lord would use their testimonies to convert a wretch like me, many many years later. At my husband's death bed, I endeavored to continue their legacy of fervent trust in the Lord. Who knows what the Lord will use in his ultimate plan? The world watches, and in such times of calamity we have opportunities to honor our glorious Father in heaven.
It is touching to read of the faith of soldiers who fought either side of the Civil War.

Back