• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweets/Treats Tea Ice Cream

tea ice cream
(from The Kentucky Housewife, by Lettice Bryan, 1839)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. good tea​
boiling water​
1 quart sweet cream​
8 eggs yolks​

Instructions:

Put two tablespoonsfuls of good tea in a tea pot, pour on enough boiling water to cover it, and let it stand for half an hour to infuse. Stir into a quart of sweet cream the beaten yolks of eight eggs, and simmer it slowly till it becomes thick. Having strained the tea, stir it into the cream, and cool and freeze it as directed.​

This Tea Ice Cream recipe is from "The Kentucky Housewife" by Lettice Bryan, 1839. Thought it was an usual ice cream but might be worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Tea Ice Cream recipe is from "The Kentucky Housewife" by Lettice Bryan, 1839. Thought it was an usual ice cream but might be worth a try.

Put two tablespoonsfuls of good tea in a tea pot, pour on enough boiling water to cover it, and let it stand for half an hour to infuse. Stir into a quart of sweet cream the beaten yolks of eight eggs, and simmer it slowly till it becomes thick. Having strained the tea, stir it into the cream, and cool and freeze it as directed.
In the past ten years or so Green Tea Ice Cream has been gain in popularity.it will never replace vanilla but it does give you another flavor choice.

In my local Stop & Shop I've seen Haagen Dazs makes a pint of green tea ice cream. I've never tried it, but it did peak my interest as I do love tea infused desserts. Might have to give it a try.

Green Tea Ice Cream

Ingredients -
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons match (powdered Japanese green tea)
  • Special equipment: an ice cream maker
Directions - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/green-tea-ice-cream-106762

This recipe unfortunately calls for an ice cream maker - does anyone actually own one? Could you make it without the maker and just freeze it directly?

tea ice cream
(from The Kentucky Housewife, by Lettice Bryan, 1839)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. good tea​
boiling water​
1 quart sweet cream​
8 eggs yolks​

Instructions:

Put two tablespoonsfuls of good tea in a tea pot, pour on enough boiling water to cover it, and let it stand for half an hour to infuse. Stir into a quart of sweet cream the beaten yolks of eight eggs, and simmer it slowly till it becomes thick. Having strained the tea, stir it into the cream, and cool and freeze it as directed.​

I'll bet this would be good with a flavored tea.

Back