Impressions Tapestry or carpet haversacks authentic or not ?

Bigred

Private
are tapestry haversacks an authentic addition or a total fabrication...no pun intended

My opinion is: I think they are ok for EARLY war portrayal.....As they got wore out, they were discarded and replaced with "regular" haversacks......I'd like to hear others' answers, as I have no knowledge or source to quote from. I wonder if there are any photos of soldiers with them?

You don't see such haversacks being worn by reenactors because there is little documentation of them been used. With that said and going from memory:

--I believe an original haversack such as this was found in Gettysburg. I will have to dig through my files.

--I am sure civilian carpet bags (valises, sacks and hand bags) were used. 150 years later and there isn't much documentation on the subject.

*Note: Some Federal canteens with striped tapestry covers are known to exist and you don't see reenactors doing this.

--The Wisconsin Veterans Museum has a haversack made out of silk tapestry material with the outside painted in order to waterproof it. A piece of cloth has been sewn inside as a divider. I believe the haversack is attributed to a Union Soldier who was at Vicksburg. He might have obtained it from a Confederate soldier.

It has been a long day and I am going from memory right now.

Last edited:
thanks for the speedy replys
I made one all hand sewn and carried at a renactors market yesterday and was told.....THEY NEVER HAD THOSES pointing at my haversack !I suppose the guy in question has his own time machine at home and has travelled back in time to inspect all of the confederate army ,I wouldn't be surprised if a small number of men had them with all the other items wives and girlfiends made for there men folk
I know they wouldn't have been any sort of issue item, but a lot of thing weren,t , shirts, hats blankets, and patchwork covers etc

You are correct in your assertion that haversacks were commonly not issued early in the war (as were many other things- my company saw it's first action at Rich Mountain and called it the "tin cup campaign" because that was all the government issued them).

It's a good idea to do your research on the primary sources, eg. period writings, surviving examples, photographs &c. as there are no shortage of people offering false advice (most unintentionally- viz. "that's what they heard") and even seasoned reenactors and "campaigners" sometimes make mistakes, too. The best of us can be accidentally misleading at times.

Also remember that context is extremely important. Different things were more common at different times, places, &c. and what was common in 1861 Missouri may be out of place in 1864 Virginia.

I would say yes, they were used occasionally.

However, for the reenacting world, I would say no unless it was fact in stone they were used by a particular unit. As a reenactor, always go for basic and not be the exception. What happens is everyone wants to be the exception then you end up with a company of hodge podge clowns.

I will go for basic gear ....and leave my carpet bag and red nose at home the next time ..lol. my wife wants to use it for shopping so it wont go to waste
again thanks for everyones input so far

As an impulse purchase, I bought a beautiful carpet haversack at "The Carpetbagger" when I was at the 150th Cedar Creek. I found out pretty quickly that (1) Civil War era ladies did not use haversacks (I never did figure out how we were supposed to carry stuff! I ended up using a basket), and (2) For men of the period, this would be a civilian item, not military, but it is definitely suitable for male civilian impressions.

As it turned out, my carpet haversack (still looking like new) makes a wonderful 21st century shoulder bag, and I get compliments on it almost every time I go out in public!

Last edited:
The Confederates used civilian carpets of all kinds, so I am sure some locals made some haversacks of the same materials. Atleast early war and/or in areas far from the major depots. For that reason, I would not use one for a late war ANV impression, but Trans-Mississippi for instance no doubt.

I have found nothing definitive on the AC. So far just opinions on here with no examples given in accounts or surviving examples.

"For men of the period, this would be a civilian item, not military, but it is definitely suitable for male civilian impressions."

Why would a civilian man in the 1860's want, or need, a haversack?

Back