Tales Of Two Mary Todd Lincolns, Pick One

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

John S. Carter

First Sergeant
It IS weird how much there isn't on ' women of the war '. IMO we do this ' thing ' where one or a few famous names get to represent all of them? That's not an effort to put women somewhere they don't belong- it's astonishment this isn't a huger topic. I created a thread trying to document how many nurses died between 1861and 1865? It's TOUGH going and there are almost no accounts of Southern women. We KNOW they died, there's no record of who they were. We know how many horses and mules perished, nurses? Nope.

Yes, don't get me started on the hammering Varina has taken. Gee whiz. Mary Custis, same. All it took to get misrepresented was to marry a famous man.
There is a statue at the state capital in Montgomery.Al. dedicated to the women of the Confederate South for their sacrifices during the war.If you know of anyone who resides there ask them to take a picture of the plague on the mont.I dare anyone to remove that statue as they have others.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is a statue at the state capital in Montgomery.Al. dedicated to the women of the Confederate South for their sacrifices during the war.If you know of anyone who resides there ask them to take a picture of the plague on the mont.I dare anyone to remove that statue as they have others.

Oh, I'd imagine that one is safe. North and South, women had a horrendous war that receives not enough attention. Anything causing us to stop and remember our ancestors, and what war right here on top of us meant is a terrific reminder. One of my favorites is the memorial to the Sisters. They flatly refused to recognize who fought for which side, seeing only a wounded man. Read one account by the a home diocese stating hundreds of their Sisters died while doing this work. Hundreds! Because their work was literally for God, we don't know their names. Talk about humble and selfless.These women were from families on both sides of the conflict. WISH there was a way to discover who they were.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!