1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Take Me To The Water: River Baptisms

Discussion in 'Mid-19th Century Life' started by Dedej, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Dedej

Dedej Corporal

4a31436r.jpg

I absolutely LOVE seeing old pictures of river baptisms. They are beautiful to me. I know it's a practice and folk tradition Baptist of all - white and black -- and usually perform in rivers, bayous, and lakes.

Immersion baptism, understood as demanding total submersion of the body, is required by Baptists, as enunciated in the 1689 Baptist Catechism: "Baptism is rightly administered by immersion, or dipping the whole body of the person in water, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit",[173] indicating that the whole body must be immersed, not just the head.

------

The tradition of submerging someone in a river to wash away their sins began in Europe, came to America in the 18th century and spread across the South by Baptist ministers, Daniels says. The Christian tradition replicates Jesus' baptism in the Jordan River by John the Baptist 2,000 years ago.

---

Baptisms were generally held during the summer or early fall so the water would be warm enough. Outdoor baptismal locations tend to be used traditionally in a community, with various churches using the same spot for generations. Source

river-baptisms-112.jpg

30272f343cdf01b136f04b4bddca30c2.jpg
    1890​

River_baptism_in_New_Bern.jpg

e078a23b3ed8c30c9bc5c1b4d00dc67e.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1848 Daguerreotype of former slaves receiving baptism on the Island of Martinique after emancipation.

[​IMG]
    A large group of African-American spectators stands on the banks of Buffalo Bayou to witness a baptism (ca. 1900).

[​IMG]
    African Americans Post Civil War- Baptism in Georgia Late 1800’s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Dedej

Dedej Corporal

When the ritual was done in Antebellum/slavery times - many Africans embraced due to similarities to other African religions - specifically Ifá, Mami Wata, Vodou/Vodun -- which is completely different from Voodoo and Louisiana Voodoo)

The most important practice in the Baptist church was immersive baptism, which had similarities to the African practice of water cults. Raboteau, Slave Religion

*Note: "
    Water cults" is not what they were - to learn more - I recommend reading about Traditional African Religions.
    ------

Blacks took comfort in the message of evangelical Christianity as they faced the perils of the Second Middle Passage and the cotton revolution. Slaves saw in baptism and camp meeting worship similarities to traditional African practices, and they enthusiastically embraced worship that paralleled the traditional style. Blacks brought in other styles of worship and expression taken from traditional practices, and whites were often impressed by the emotion and vitality that the traditional practices could bring to black worship. Source

-----

But in studying the funerary and baptismal practices of slaves and their descendents, certain patterns of similar practices begin to emerge. This is particularly evident in the use of water as a dual conductor of death and life, particularly in the Christian faith as adopted by enslaved Africans in the Americas and their progeny. Apart from syncretized religions such as Haitian Vodou or Candomblé, which also have a particular sacred relationship with water, many African-Americans have retained a spiritual affinity to water, yet attached them to Christian practices. Water as Death and Life: Traces of the Atlantic Slave Trade in Funerary and Baptismal Rites

-----

Accompanied by song, shouting, and ecstatic behavior, baptism—especially for Baptists—was perhaps the most dramatic ritual in the slave’s religious life. “De biggest meetin’ house crowds was when dey had baptizing’,” noted a former Georgia slave. “Dey dammed up de crick on Sadday so as it would be deep enough on Sunday.… At dem baptizin’s dere was all sorts of shouting and dey would sing ‘Roll, Jordan, Roll, De Livin’ Waters,’ and ‘Lord, I’se Comin’ Home.’ ”

----

Dressed in white robes and attended by the “brothers and sisters,” the candidates proceeded “amidst singing and praises” to the local pond or creek, symbol of the river Jordan, where, according to Baptist practice, each was “ducked” by the preacher. Sometimes the newly regenerate came up from the baptismal waters shouting for joy at being made new in the Lord. Source

Antebellum Baptist: http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1836

4. Crazy Delawares

Crazy Delawares Sergeant

Very interesting! The fifth picture from the top looks as if it was done after chopping a huge hole in the ice. Is that correct?!?!?!:cold:

5. Dedej

Dedej Corporal

08a82a916a277c8c325ef7dcd19c3bd5--african-americans-mississippi.jpg

298a2c64d1c237279f2f577d98fd75cf.jpg
    Appalachia​

9867a6988bb653818827125d6726d37c.jpg

2007_107_32.jpg
    Rodgers Studio, [River baptism, Illinois], ca. 1900​

2007_107_24.jpg
    Unidentified Photographer, [River baptism], 1903​

1a6df2c54f9d8c1dfb8171e32b05de4e.jpg
    Tennessee River Baptisms-1905 by Decatur Public Library, via Flickr

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_64.jpg
    International News Photos, [Baptism, Potomac River], September 1933

takeme_4.jpg

o-zionbc.jpg

6. Dedej

Dedej Corporal

Yes! It was..lol - I can't imagine. I'm from Michigan and I stay in the car until the car warms up and defrost :smile:

7. AshleyMel

AshleyMel Corporal

Gosh, I love these! Very emotional!

8. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

That had to be one chilly awakening.

9. Dedej

Dedej Corporal

b669914b40fcf0075bdda511585ff3f6--mississippi-delta-the-river.jpg

tumblr_mvwivfWERH1sphqjfo8_500.gif

de81f76aa10211c349a6ba91dc797898--matthew--christen.jpg
    Baptism at Sides Mill, Haymore Memorial Baptist Church, around 1912.

baptism%2Bin%2Blaurel%2Babt%2B1930.JPG
    Baptism in Laurel Delaware about 1930

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_149_416935_displaysize.jpg
    Baptism, Cuyahoga River, Ohio

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_67_452491_displaysize.jpg
    River baptism, New Iberia, Louisiana

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_76_461376_displaysize.jpg

2007_107_43_457261_displaysize.jpg

2007_107_22_421384_displaysize.jpg

2007_107_33_420690_displaysize.jpg

2007_107_30_415899_displaysize.jpg

Source for many images

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_153_448664_displaysize.jpg
    River baptism, Greenwood, Texas

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_63_424368_displaysize.jpg
    River baptism, Tallulah, Louisiana

baptism.jpg

unidentified_photographer_2007_107_91_411796_displaysize.jpg

sperryvilleThen-22.jpg

BaptismatMartinsFordonWhiteRiverAbo.jpg
    An old-time baptism at Martin's Ford on White River about 1917

10. EJ Zander

EJ Zander First Sergeant

River/ creek baptisms were still being done when I was kid growing up in MD.

11. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

My great grandfather and my grandfather were Baptist preachers... when I look at old baptism photos, I always hope I'll see them.

One word of advice... never be baptized in a dress with a full skirt. :help:

Thank you for this thread. I love them, too!

12. Robert Rutledge

Robert Rutledge Private

Well when you think about it, the icy water might be the best option when you consider all of the cholera outbreaks that popped up in warmer weather. All of those rivers probably had some quantity of sewage running through them.

There still are river baptisms to this day, though not as common.

13. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

These are fantastic! Thanks for putting them up. That's the old time religion for sure. I remember one time when the preacher was doing baptisms along the river - our river is considerably less placid than these - but there was a swimming hole he was using. He dropped one of the kids! Kid swam between his legs and went a little down stream under water then came out but what a frantic hunt - where is he, where is he! Sure kicked the fund drive for the installation of the baptistry into high gear... :D (Don't know if that baptism took or not...:x3:)

14. AshleyMel

AshleyMel Corporal

The little church we used to belong to rented a building and was without a baptistery! It was up in the mountains and Hubby performed a Baptism once in an above ground pool right after a hail storm. We went out and bought a hot tub after that!

15. Crazy Delawares

Crazy Delawares Sergeant

Makes me kind of wonder: if this is really cold, then how hot is Hell???:hot:

16. WJC

WJC Sergeant Major

Thanks for posting these great photos!
    If I remember right, my grandfather-whose family were Presbyterian-was baptised in a creek.

17. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

My dad was a boxer when he was younger and was a big, square guy. He was something of a challenge to baptize - Woody Allen would be bulkier than that little preacher! :laugh:

These pictures are just wonderful, though.

18. EJ Zander

EJ Zander First Sergeant

Our swimming hole was used to. Out of respect we would cease our antics and get out of the water for the duration. Jumping back in afterwards.

19. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

How wonderful thank you! Dad was a Lutheran minister and I can't count the number of warm, cozy, inside, head-only, baptisms I witnessed- boy would we have kicked like mules if we'd have caught wind, as children, of outside baptisms? Mass conversions, if we could discover the word.

20. Gladys Hodge Sherrer

Gladys Hodge Sherrer Sergeant

Baptizing below Union Grove Bridge, Guntersville, Alabama, late 1800's. This spot is near one setting in my book, Trapped in the Crossfire. Baptizing Covered Bridge Union Grove-Gville Dam picture  2 of 2 (2).jpg

21. Lusty Murfax

Lusty Murfax Private

Here in farm the country the rivers are very muddy. Rocky or gravel river beds are rare. Sand bars are usually covered in thick silt. Outdoor baptisms were usually conducted in ponds, where the congregation could more easily join on the bank without getting stuck in mud.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)