Surrender of the T-M

archieclement

Colonel
On May 24th Lt Gen Buckner, Major Gen Price, and Bg Gen Brent proceeded to Baton Rouge then on to New Orleans where they met with Major Gen E Canby and on the 25th signed surrender term similar as those extended Lee on the condition they would be subject to Kirby Smith's approval. On June 2nd Smith and Magruder also sign making it official.

I can see why Price and Buckner were chosen, both were major generals and former state governors, not sure why Brent is chosen.

Perhaps because Brent had been General Richard Taylor's ordnance officer and commander of the Louisiana Cavalry Brigade?
Regards
David

Doesn't really explain it to me, there were a ton of staff and and brigade commanders in the department, if wanted a staff officer represented, Buckner was Kirby Smith's chief of staff at the time.

Price and Buckner had been corps, army, and Dept commanders. Still not seeing why a lone cav brigade commander is included.

On May 24th Lt Gen Buckner, Major Gen Price, and Bg Gen Brent proceeded to Baton Rouge then on to New Orleans where they met with Major Gen E Canby and on the 25th signed surrender term similar as those extended Lee on the condition they would be subject to Kirby Smith's approval. On June 2nd Smith and Magruder also sign making it official.

I can see why Price and Buckner were chosen, both were major generals and former state governors, not sure why Brent is chosen.
Probably because he was already negotiating with Federal forces under a flag of truce...and one of the few General officers out in the field at the time.
OR 48 Part 2 Page 503 and 504
or48pt2pg503.JPG

or48pt2pg504.JPG

Thanks I had wondered orginally if perhaps he was somehow representing Gen Taylor, but made little sense as he had left his staff for brigade command.

Not related to the surrender but I think J.L. Brent was the officer in charge of the mission to attack the USS Indianola in 1863...

Back