Surgeons who Gave their Lives in Service to the Suffering

Glad to see this thread again. @John Hartwell, Arabella Wilson wrote ( in her book on the 126th NY ) that the Second Corp hospital at Gettysburg took a direct hit that killed 2 surgeons. Her stuff is pretty good, there's no reason to doubt it happened. I've never been able to find who they were?

white_w_nyt.jpg

Surgeon and Major William James Harrison White, USA
Medical Director, 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac at Antietam

Washington, DC-born William J.H. White was 35 years old in September 1862 and had been an Army doctor since he graduated from the Columbian College Medical School (now George Washington University) in 1849. At least 10 of his 13 years service had been in the frontier West, with the 2nd US Cavalry in Texas and New Mexico. His had not been soft duty.

Earlier in 1862 he had seen considerable action with the 6th Corps and gained experience with large numbers of casualties, notably at Gaines' Mill in June and Bull Run in August.

He arrived with his Corps at the battlefield of Antietam about 10am on Wednesday, 17 September and his job as Medical Director was to set up and staff the Corps field hospital; the battle had been underway for some 5 hours when he arrived, which made his work both important and urgent. He established hospitals on the Michael Miller farm, known later as the Brick House Hospital, and nearby at Dunbar's Mills, both at the north end of the East Woods. He probably didn't treat any soldiers himself, but would have been closely involved with their care.

The troops of his 6th Army Corps were placed largely in holding and supporting positions on the field at Antietam, but one Brigade, Irwin's of Smith's 2nd Division, made an attack toward the West Woods about mid-day.

irwin_antietam_forbes.jpg

That afternoon something went terribly wrong with Dr. William White.

During the whole of the terrible battle of Wednesday Dr. WHITE was superintending the care and removal of the wounded from the battle; and it is supposed the excitement consequent to the occasion produced a species of temporary insanity, for after the battle had lulled somewhat, he rode up to Gen. FRANKLIN and said, "General, if you will give me a regiment of men I will clear those woods of rebels," pointing to a piece of woods on his right in which was stationed a very large force of rebels.

Gen. FRANKLIN replied, that fifty regiments would be unable to dislodge the enemy from the position, and that it would be useless to attempt the experiment. Dr. WHITE rejoined, "If you will not give me the men to take those woods, I will go and take them myself," at the same time proceeding in the direction of the place where the rebels were concealed, at a rapid gait. When within about twenty or thirty rods of the edge of the wood, he was fired upon by several rebel sharpshooters, two balls taking effect, one in the forehead and another in the breast, killing him instantly.

Sources

His service information from Heitman's Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army 1789-1903 and the Official Army Register.

Personal details from the Historical Catalogue of the Officers and Graduates of the Columbian University (1891).

Some service details from a memorial of 20 September issued by US Army Surgeon-General William A. Hammond published in the New York Times [subscription required] of 12 October 1862, page 5, source also of the extraordinary narrative of his death quoted here.

His photo is from a CDV in the collection of Drs. Michael Echols & Doug Arbittier, online at their American Civil War Medicine & Surgical Antiques website.

His picture is also found in Volume 7 of Miller and Lanier's Photographic History of the Civil War (1911).

His gravesite is on Findagrave.

Location of the 6th Corps hospitals at Antietam from the journal The Military Surgeon (1913).

Edwin Forbes' engraving of Irwin's attack is from the Century Magazine of June 1886.

More on Surgeon W.J.H White can be found on my page for him on Antietam on the Web (AotW).

Last edited:
**In August, 1862, the 2nd Mass. became part of the 2nd Corps, and took heavy casualties at the Battle of Cedar Mountain. At Antietam, the regiment suffered 12 killed (including Col. Dwight) and 51 wounded (including Capt. Robert Gould Shaw). Although the regiment was not engaged at Fredericksburg, Dr. Heath served at the hospital in Chatham Manor.

The 2nd also took a significant part in the battles of Chancellorsville (34 casualties) and Gettysburg (137 casualties). Working in the Division hospitals, Dr. Heath was kept very busy; and he stayed on at CampLetterman Hospital for two weeks after the Corps had moved on. During this time, says the regimental history, Surgeon Heath “served with great faithfulness and zeal, being distinguished as a very careful and skill operator. ... He was to be recognized as one of the best surgeons and truest men in the corps.”

Researching Chatham house as a hospital at Fredericksburg. Do you have information on whether he was assigned to Sickles corp of the 2nd corp? ( I am focused on DB Birney's Sickles corp.) How long did he work at Chatham Manor?

Researching regimental hospital at Chancellorsville. Sickles mentions in his summary report of battle of Chancellorsville, that Dr. Sire is the medical director and I cannot locate his information. Dr. Heath have contact with Dr. Sire in your research? Did you come across information that Dr. Heath treated Hooker after his his injury at Chancellors House on May 3? Where was Camp Letterman Hospital located?

Grateful,
Annie

In search of medical director and or surgeon for the Army of the Potomac, second army corp, sickles division. Specifically David Bell Birneys' regiment.
I am also in search information on the following surgeons;
Dr. James E. Dexter Surgeon 40th New York
Dr Wiggin.. the only info I have is first division third corp third brigade, which I believe is Birneys division.
Dr. Lyman division medical corp 57 PA vol.
Dr. Harris of the US Sanitary Commission
Mr. Fay of US Sanitary Commission ( may be an MD)
Lieutenant J.R.Moore Ambulance Corp coordinator at Chancellorsville.
Gettysburg
Surgeon in chief ( Dr. Lyman?) and chief medical office of first division third corp third brigade at Gettysburg.
Dr. Mitchell 8th PA Calvary hospital of Calvary corp.

Grateful,
Annie

**In August, 1862, the 2nd Mass. became part of the 2nd Corps, and took heavy casualties at the Battle of Cedar Mountain. At Antietam, the regiment suffered 12 killed (including Col. Dwight) and 51 wounded (including Capt. Robert Gould Shaw). Although the regiment was not engaged at Fredericksburg, Dr. Heath served at the hospital in Chatham Manor.

The 2nd also took a significant part in the battles of Chancellorsville (34 casualties) and Gettysburg (137 casualties). Working in the Division hospitals, Dr. Heath was kept very busy; and he stayed on at CampLetterman Hospital for two weeks after the Corps had moved on. During this time, says the regimental history, Surgeon Heath “served with great faithfulness and zeal, being distinguished as a very careful and skill operator. ... He was to be recognized as one of the best surgeons and truest men in the corps.”

Researching Chatham house as a hospital at Fredericksburg. Do you have information on whether he was assigned to Sickles corp of the 2nd corp? ( I am focused on DB Birney's Sickles corp.) How long did he work at Chatham Manor?

Researching regimental hospital at Chancellorsville. Sickles mentions in his summary report of battle of Chancellorsville, that Dr. Sire is the medical director and I cannot locate his information. Dr. Heath have contact with Dr. Sire in your research? Did you come across information that Dr. Heath treated Hooker after his his injury at Chancellors House on May 3? Where was Camp Letterman Hospital located?

Grateful,
Annie
Hi, I'm afraid my research didn't cover that type of detail. And, I think you have things a little confused: Gen. Daniel Sickles commanded the Third Corps, and Gen David Birney commanded one of the Divisions in that 3rd Corps.

The 2nd Mass was in the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Division of the Second Corps, which was commanded by Gen Darius Couch at Chancellorsville, and by Gen. Winfield S. Hancock at Gettysburg. Until you get used to it, military organizational structure can be confusing.

cheers!
jno

Hi, I'm afraid my research didn't cover that type of detail. And, I think you have things a little confused: Gen. Daniel Sickles commanded the Third Corps, and Gen David Birney commanded one of the Divisions in that 3rd Corps.

The 2nd Mass was in the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Division of the Second Corps, which was commanded by Gen Darius Couch at Chancellorsville, and by Gen. Winfield S. Hancock at Gettysburg. Until you get used to it, military organizational structure can be confusing
cheers!
jno
Still not used to the structure!! you are correct sir. Gen Birney commanded the second division of the third corp and even that changed throughout the war.

Hang on! Very ( very ) short on time this morning ( kid/school/getting him there )- this is cheating but I'll call in an expert. :D @pamc153PA , please?
Camp Letterman was located along what is now Route 30, behind and around where the Hilton Garden Inn and the Giant shopping center is. It is private property now.

In search of medical director and or surgeon for the Army of the Potomac, second army corp, sickles division. Specifically David Bell Birneys' regiment.
I am also in search information on the following surgeons;
Dr. James E. Dexter Surgeon 40th New York
Dr Wiggin.. the only info I have is first division third corp third brigade, which I believe is Birneys division.
Dr. Lyman division medical corp 57 PA vol.
Dr. Harris of the US Sanitary Commission
Mr. Fay of US Sanitary Commission ( may be an MD)
Lieutenant J.R.Moore Ambulance Corp coordinator at Chancellorsville.
Gettysburg
Surgeon in chief ( Dr. Lyman?) and chief medical office of first division third corp third brigade at Gettysburg.
Dr. Mitchell 8th PA Calvary hospital of Calvary corp.

Grateful,
Annie

-Surgeon James Ewings Dexter, received his medical degree in 1861 from New York University, Medical College.
-Surgeon Jonas W. Lyman, 57th Pennsylvania. At Gettysburg he reportedly served in the field hospital of 1st Division, Third Corps.
-Frank B. Fay served with the Sanitary Commission in the Third Corps hospitals at Gettysburg (War Papers of Frank B. Fay).
-Surgeon Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell, 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry, graduated in 1852 from the University of Pennsylvania, and received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania's Medical Department in 1854.

-Surgeon William Henry Heath (Harvard College, M.D., 1853), 2nd Massachusetts, was present at Gettysburg.
-Assistant Surgeon William Nichols, Jr. (Harvard College, M.D., 1862), 2nd Massachusetts, was also present at Gettysburg.

Some Medical Personnel Casualties in the Gettysburg campaign:
-Surgeon Hugh McD. Martin, 5th Louisiana, thrown from his horse and suffered a dislocation of his shoulder which disabled him for several months.
-Surgeon F. T. Fry, 16th North Carolina, shot in head on July 1 but survived.
-Surgeon G. Alston Groves, 16th Mississippi, died of unknown cause at the Pennsylvania College hospital.
-Assistant Surgeon William Hope “Willie” Peek, 2nd Virginia Cavalry, died of illness at Williamsport, Maryland on July 19.
-Assistant Surgeon Charles W. Hunt, 12th New Hampshire, served in a field hospital 2-3 weeks, fell ill, died of typhoid fever at Point Lookout on August 24, 1863.
-Assistant Surgeon W. S. Moore, 61st Ohio, wounded July 3, died July 6.

In addition, Assistant Surgeon Neil K. Gunn, 16th Massachusetts, died June 3, 1863 at Falmouth, Virginia, of typhus.

Last edited:
-Surgeon James Ewings Dexter, received his medical degree in 1861 from New York University, Medical College.
-Surgeon Jonas W. Lyman, 57th Pennsylvania. At Gettysburg he reportedly served in the field hospital of 1st Division, Third Corps.
-Frank B. Fay served with the Sanitary Commission in the Third Corps hospitals at Gettysburg (War Papers of Frank B. Fay).
-Surgeon Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell, 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry, graduated in 1852 from the University of Pennsylvania, and received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania's Medical Department in 1854.

-Surgeon William Henry Heath (Harvard College, M.D., 1853), 2nd Massachusetts, was present at Gettysburg.
-Assistant Surgeon William Nichols, Jr. (Harvard College, M.D., 1862), 2nd Massachusetts, was also present at Gettysburg.

Some Medical Personnel Casualties in the Gettysburg campaign:
-Surgeon Hugh McD. Martin, 5th Louisiana, thrown from his horse and suffered a dislocation of his shoulder which disabled him for several months.
-Surgeon F. T. Fry, 16th North Carolina, shot in head on July 1 but survived.
-Surgeon G. Alston Groves, 16th Mississippi, died of unknown cause at the Pennsylvania College hospital.
-Assistant Surgeon William Hope “Willie” Peek, 2nd Virginia Cavalry, died of illness at Williamsport, Maryland on July 19.
-Assistant Surgeon Charles W. Hunt, 12th New Hampshire, served in a field hospital 2-3 weeks, fell ill, died of typhoid fever at Point Lookout on August 24, 1863.
-Assistant Surgeon W. S. Moore, 61st Ohio, wounded July 3, died July 6.

In addition, Assistant Surgeon Neil K. Gunn, 16th Massachusetts, died June 3, 1863 at Falmouth, Virginia, of typhus.

Tom, this is fantastic.
Camp Letterman was located along what is now Route 30, behind and around where the Hilton Garden Inn and the Giant shopping center is. It is private property now.
Pam this is brilliant!

Pam,
What is your favorite part of the civil war and or your area of expertise?
Hands down, Gettysburg—the battle, the lead-up to the battle, and the retreat. I know the topography of the battlefield pretty well, and I especially get into things that used to be on the battlefield but aren’t now, and witness trees. I also am interested in the town during the battle, and citizens of the area. I had a gggg-uncle who fought in the 153rd PA on Day 1 and was mortally wounded on Barlow Knoll. I’m also related by marriage to Emmor B. Cope, who was first superintendent of the park, so it’s kind of in my blood.🙂

Back